Re: How to connect your Verizon 4510L to your home Wifi Network
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

nsayer wrote:

I'm not suggesting some other connectivity, I'm suggesting that the MiFi is not the best way to hook to Verizon in your case. I would replace the MiFi with the netgear router and a USB LTE device for a residential installation.

MiFi's are indeed intended for multiple travelers.  If your primary use of the connection is at home and it does not need to go with you then you could, and probally should, go with a USB Modem and compatible router instead.  Pepwave routers do not have a USB Connection on them.  The cradlepoint routers seem to be the pack runner in that area.  One less wireless rebroadcast to hurt your performance that way.  Each time you go wireless there is extra overhead associated with it, more so than a cable or direct USB connection.

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

If by "multiple" you mean 5 or fewer, you're right. Last time I looked at my house's DHCP table I had 3 times that, but I'm kind of a geek, I suppose.

0 Likes
jsarich

nsayer,

The Mifi is used also for times when the iPad2 (wifi only) is on the move, in the car, etc.  Yes, you can accomplish many of the same things on your phone, but with the Mifi, why not use it and still have the same bill.

So the USB version would not work in that case.  But I like the idea.

John,

Because you are running 2 different subnets, and your router is using the Internet port to connect the 2 subnets together, do you have to configure manual routing tables on the clients connected to the pepwave repeater in order to have them talk to clients on the Linksys?  Or do you just not need to route that way?

In any case, for all of you others out there reading, perhaps if you need the functionality and portability of the MiFi, and you want to have home connectivity for more than 5 devices, then perhaps you need only John's "Pepwave surf mini" device to wirelessly connect to the MiFi, then provide both wired and wireless routable access to multiple devices within your home.  I was not aware of a repeater that could provide routing capabilities, but I guess his does. 

We personally already had a purpose built home wifi network, so My "how to" was aimed at people retrofitting their existing home network, through the used of an wireless->wired bridge.  many ways to skin a cat, so good luck!

0 Likes
nsayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

jsarich wrote:

nsayer,

The Mifi is used also for times when the iPad2 (wifi only) is on the move, in the car, etc.  Yes, you can accomplish many of the same things on your phone, but with the Mifi, why not use it and still have the same bill.

So the USB version would not work in that case.  But I like the idea.

The Netgear router does have a car cord you could use, but I do agree that if the primary use you have is mobile, then the MiFi is a much, much better way to go. I would buy the Netgear only if I was primarily setting up a home Internet connection where there was no other alternative, and/or I planned on using it in, like, an RV or a boat or something like that where a good 12v power source was not in doubt and I potentially would want to use either more than 5 devices or some wired devices.

0 Likes
jrwilk1

This may be a totally stupid question, but I have a DSL connection (768 if I'm lucky) and I have a MiFi 4510L. Can I name both of them the same SSID and  use them both through the house/share printers?

I suspect the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask. I too would like to use my 4510 to tie into my network, which include items that need to hard wired into my network.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

JR,

The simple answer is Yes.  You may use the same SSID for both your home router and your MiFi.  However you will likely have problems unless you are configured correctly.  It is going to boil down to what you want to do with your network and devices.

The best setup is to have a home router which can connect directly to the MiFi 4510L (which is wireless only).  We use the term "Repeater" alot on these forums for these devices but they may also be called "Network Extenders" "Wireless Adapters/Converters" or a few other names.  That way if your MiFi is in range then it will connect and route internet to the rest of your devices.  When the MiFi is not in range you can connect your DSL modem to the repeater and provide internet that way.  Your home devices will not need to change anything, they will always connect to the repeater whether there is internet or not.

In a nutshell you need a router that has a wireless reciever and can accept the MiFi as its modem and source of internet.  Share your router model number and name with us and we will tell you if it can handle this function.

0 Likes
jrwilk1

Thanks for the reply...... It is a standard Westel 7500 a nd I'm sure it won't do that.  I have good luck with it from a range standpoint, but I'm limited to my dsl speed since I'm the last guy on this line. Also, I have three floors to support and my office is on the top floor. Thus I wanted to get the Mifi and get 4g speeds.

I would I assume I need a cradlepoint router that will accept the Mifi, but I was trying to not buy another router. I would welcome any suggestions!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

JR,

The westel 7500 looks like it is primarily a modem, perhaps it also provides you with routing features too.  It would not help you with your MiFi enviornment and should be replaced by one of the devices posted below.

Make sure you are within 4G LTE range before you make a decision to purchase a MiFi:

http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/coverage

Repeater model recommendations to look into:

http://3gstore.com/product/1813_pepwave-surf-mini-200.html

http://3gstore.com/product/1685_cradlepoint-cba250-network-adapter.html

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/19793

Cradlepoint is not the only vendor who offers these devices although they will start to offer 4GLTE integrated modem/router models soon.  That way you can still get 4G LTE without the extra MiFi device.  For now the top runners are listed above.  I use the pepwave surf mini and it fits my needs just fine.

0 Likes
jrwilk1

I bought the cradlepoint mbr95 and going to try it. Thanks for your help~

0 Likes
gerrshel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just put my 2 cents here:   https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/772293

in regards to the Cradlepoint MBR95/ MiFi 4510