How to figure usage on MiFi Jetpack
center

Exactly how does Verizon figure usage on MiFi JetPack? What counts against the 5 gig limit? Does opening and reading email count? Does browsing sites for information count? I do genealogy research and need to know if I am searching index lists, does that count against my usage limit even if I am not downloading my results? I understand downloading email attachments counts but reading emails? Another question: On my MiFi there are messages from Verizon and I don't know how to clear them off. I have tried everything. I have read all 14 messages and the menu still tells me I have 6 unread ones and I can't get rid of any.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to figure usage on MiFi Jetpack
handset_junkie
Enthusiast - Level 3

To visit a website, information does need to be downloaded to your computer. When sending an email, the email information is uploaded to the internet to be sent. So yes, opening, read emails, browsing sites for information, searching lists will take out very small incriments of your 5 GB data. My best guess is that all of that will take ~10% of your 5 GB usage.

If you're not sure, you can always double check with the Data Calculator, located at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/dataShareCalculator.jsp.

You'll notice that streaming of music and movies will eat up your data plan very quickly. These activities require large amounts of data in a short amount of time.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: How to figure usage on MiFi Jetpack
handset_junkie
Enthusiast - Level 3

To visit a website, information does need to be downloaded to your computer. When sending an email, the email information is uploaded to the internet to be sent. So yes, opening, read emails, browsing sites for information, searching lists will take out very small incriments of your 5 GB data. My best guess is that all of that will take ~10% of your 5 GB usage.

If you're not sure, you can always double check with the Data Calculator, located at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/dataShareCalculator.jsp.

You'll notice that streaming of music and movies will eat up your data plan very quickly. These activities require large amounts of data in a short amount of time.

0 Likes