I am out of contract. Paying month to month. Can I get a netbook just for signing a 2-year contract?
andresmh

I currently use Verizon Broadband wireless on my Thinkpad X300. When I purchased the laptop it came with an internal built-in 3g verizon card. I've been using it for almost two years and I love it. I want to continue using it on this laptop. I checked with Verizon and I do not have a contract anymore. I could cancel my service with no cost.

My question is: can I get one of those free/cheap netbooks for just signing a 2-year contract? Note: I do not actually want to use the laptop to connect to Verizon's 3G network, I want to continue using my Thinkpad notebook for that.

Is this possible, and if so, how do I go about doing it? I went to a Verizon store and the guy was very confused about me using my own laptop without an external USB antenna and basically said "no" just out of confusion.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: I am out of contract. Paying month to month. Can I get a netbook just for signing a 2-year contr
larrytheG

perhaps the question is - can someone own two 3g note/netbooks and use the same Verizon Data Plan?  I know they won't let you do it with a UM-175 and a MiFi2200 unless you want to go to their website and change the device registration to switch back and forth but you cannot simultaneously use a UM-175 and a MiFi2200....  

is this true of all cell phone plans?  isn't this why people by wireless cellular routers like the cradlepoint?

anyone know why Verzion does this?

0 Likes
Re: I am out of contract. Paying month to month. Can I get a netbook just for signing a 2-year contr
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon will not let you use two devices on the same mobile broadband account. You can if you are using one of their USB modems, but not if you are using a device that is internal. I tried and tried, they would not budge :smileysad:

0 Likes
dgbianch77

It's highly unlikely that they'll sell you a netbook at promo price if you don't  activate mobile broadband. That's where the profit comes from. I purchased four phones just before Christmas and chose not to activate one until just recently.  In the mean time, a $209. equipment charge appeared on my bill. Cust. serv. said it was the difference between the promo & retail price of the phone that wasn't activated. On top of that, it wasn't activated via the right dept. so had to go to a retail store to sign a new contract to have it credited.

BTW, FWIW - not sure of your use, but this little netbook is very portable and convenient, with great battery life. I wouldn't be hauling my laptop around doing this. 

0 Likes
sadie85
Contributor - Level 3

Yes. Broadband cards work just like a phone, there is an ESN that is placed in the system to allow that one specific device to work. So you purchase and activate the boardband card in the netbook and then change your ESN back to the one for your current one. You'll continue to use your thinkpad for internet use on the boardband plan and the netbook has wifi so you can use that to connect to wifi.

0 Likes
RMAS44

Re the contract confusion -- I am having the same problem of being charged full price for the netbook.  I went in to a Verizon store 3 days ago and signed again a 2 year contract.  How long did it take Verizon to clear up the confusion, remove the added charge, and get your bill straightened out? 

Thanks.

0 Likes