I hate my new HP Mini 210-1076NR ;-(
HPMini210

I joined this group to find out how to speed up and understand my HPMini210-1076NR. It runs really slow, to the point where it's hard to research what is happening. I looked at the task manager and there is a lot of stuff running at the same time. I am not familiar with computers enough to know what is mandatory and what process can be ended.

I used the Netbook's tools and it had a result of too many programs at start up, or something like that. I wasn't able to email the report in order to print it. This Netbook is my 3rd computer, I have a PC at work and a PC at home. The Netbook was purchased at a whim which I am now regretting. The salesguy was good!

Can I take the Netbook back to Verizon to have it checked out? They set it up and I can't tell what is needed to make it faster. The OP is Windows 7 Starter. I'm used to XP so getting used to 7 is a challenge in itself. I tried streaming a baseball game video and it was choppy and frustrating. I assume the 1GB of RAM is not enough. Can I upgrade that too?

Worst case scenario, can I trade it in for a more powerful netbook?

Sorry for so many questions on the first post, I was ready to throw my Mini out the window over the weekend!!!

0 Likes
Re: I hate my new HP Mini 210-1076NR ;-(
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

HPMini210 wrote:

I joined this group to find out how to speed up and understand my HPMini210-1076NR. It runs really slow, to the point where it's hard to research what is happening. I looked at the task manager and there is a lot of stuff running at the same time. I am not familiar with computers enough to know what is mandatory and what process can be ended.

I used the Netbook's tools and it had a result of too many programs at start up, or something like that. I wasn't able to email the report in order to print it. This Netbook is my 3rd computer, I have a PC at work and a PC at home. The Netbook was purchased at a whim which I am now regretting. The salesguy was good!

Can I take the Netbook back to Verizon to have it checked out? They set it up and I can't tell what is needed to make it faster. The OP is Windows 7 Starter. I'm used to XP so getting used to 7 is a challenge in itself. I tried streaming a baseball game video and it was choppy and frustrating. I assume the 1GB of RAM is not enough. Can I upgrade that too?

Worst case scenario, can I trade it in for a more powerful netbook?

Sorry for so many questions on the first post, I was ready to throw my Mini out the window over the weekend!!!

Netbooks are very limited devices, slow processors, small disks, limited memory. They are not recommended for anything beyond web surfing and basic office functions. They are inexpensive for a reason; you get what you pay for.

Given that understanding, there are still things you can do. Most computers today come with preinstalled trial applications that the developers have paid the manufacturer to install, hoping you will buy them or subscribe to the web services they offer. These apps are collectively called "crapware" and will slow down your computer. Some stores will remove them for you - for a fee!

Look at your desktop and quick launch bar. Anything you see that you don't intend to use can be uninstalled. Open the Control Panel and choose "Add or Remove Programs". Click on the ones you don't use and remove them.

0 Likes
HPMini210

Thank you for replying Larry. The problem is, I don't know which programs I need. Is there a website for beginners that shows which programs etc are mandatory? I also read  that my OP Windows 7 is a Starter, and it might help if I pay for the real version?

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

HPMini210 wrote:

Thank you for replying Larry. The problem is, I don't know which programs I need. Is there a website for beginners that shows which programs etc are mandatory? I also read  that my OP Windows 7 is a Starter, and it might help if I pay for the real version?

Here's one place to start: http://archive.laptopmag.com/Features/Inside-the-Epidemic-of-Crapware.htm?page=8

0 Likes