I have had constant problems with my Verizon broadband internet service, and can only assume I will need to cancel my contract.
texasearls
Enthusiast - Level 1

According to Verizon, my family is somehow using 15 to 16 GB of data per month on our unlimited data plan, sometimes more. This is a jump from 4 to 6 GB in the spring of 2012. We have done nothing to justify such a huge surge in data usage per month, but I don't seem to be able to get any satisfactory answer from Verizon as to what's going on. Our time spent on the Internet is no different than it's ever been. Last month, customer service tried to suggest that a virus we had had on one of our computers must have caused the computer to suck up data without our knowledge, but the virus is gone and our data usage just keeps getting worse. To make matters even more painful, such high "usage" causes Verizon to slow our UNLIMITED data service to such a snail's pace that we can't get anything substantial done online. And, for some reason, we now constantly lose our signal. We are connected via USB, which is a poor way to connect, granted. But it worked fine in the spring of this year. In fact, it was faster than anything we had had previously. Go figure? I tried to download Java last week, and the computer indicated it would take 15hrs to download. What a waste!

Apparently, my only option is to switch to MiFi (we are in a rural location lacking DSL) for my household. And this will cost me at least $60 more per month. Why, pray tell, would I want to pay more money to solve a problem that Verizon cannot satisfactorily explain to me if there are no guarantees MiFi will work any better? I cannot get my money back if it fails to improve our situation. And what about the supposed data usage? Am I supposed to believe that my kids' Facebook time combined with our internet surfing eats up 3 to 4 times as much data as it did only a few months ago? I don't think so. Something is not adding up here. Oh...I do have one other option. Home Fusion broadband added to our account for even more money per month.

Bottom line? Spend more money that I don't have for unreliable service, with what I believe to be bogus data usage charges. I think I just need to cancel Internet service, paying the fee for breaking my contract of course, and take my business elsewhere.

Anyone else having these sorts of problems? What have you done about it?

0 Likes
Re: I have had constant problems with my Verizon broadband internet service, and can only assume I will need to cancel my contract.
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

Regardless with what carrier your with you might have the same issue, My recommendation would be to get a router that will help you with viewing live traffic and keep a tally of your usage and any device connected to your internet connection.  You can go with the peplink balance 20 and be able to look at your traffic by the hour, daily, weekly, monthly or yearly.  Look for trends, see what computers or devices are doing what I attached a screen shot so you can see an example of mine.  You can purchase the router at 3gstore

http://i45.tinypic.com/6zc674.jpg

data.jpg

0 Likes
Re: I have had constant problems with my Verizon broadband internet service, and can only assume I will need to cancel my contract.
texasearls
Enthusiast - Level 1

edvotech,

What a terrific suggestion. Thank you. I have decided to cancel my contract and take my business elsewhere, for internet anyway, but this device will still be great to have. I have never broken a contract with anyone before, so this move feels awkward, but I know it's for the best. I just must have reliable service, and a mobile device isn't gonna provide that. I have neighbors in this rural area that have reliable service, so I am switching to their carrier.

Still, the device you suggested will be handy for tracking our usage.

Thanks again,

Carrie

jopow

yes I have the same problems.  I went the AAT dsl.  Now I can't cancel the internet and land line. What next.

0 Likes
jopow

I have been 5 different numbers and still can't cancel.  I have canceled my auto pay, maybe this will get some attention

0 Likes
bigjim616
Enthusiast - Level 3

You will be sorry to switch to mifi we have it and my data usage has gone from 15GB last Oct to 30GB now and we aren't doing anything different. I keep calling Verizon and they are suppose to call me back. They never do. Also on 1-26-15 we were gone all day and everything was turn off and at 2:20 pm they have me down for useing 1.47188 GB of data.

Maybe it's time we all should get together and hire a lawyer and start a class action lawsuit against Verizon.