IRC woes with Verizon Wireless Broadband service
DressyFemme

I use a Dell M2010 laptop running XP utilizing a Dell Wireless 5700 Mobile Broadband ExpressCard to connect via Verizon Wireless Broadband.  Have been very frustrated as my computer would not open the IRC "Recovery" chat room at irc.starchat.net.  Looked into the problem further, tried different IRC programs, java applet sites, even e-mailed tech support at www.starchat.net etc. all to no avail. (no, it's not a firewall issue or anti-virus issue, or even a XP Service Pack 2 to 3 issue).

Finally figured out: When my computer's Verizon connection software seeks a wireless connection (network) near my home, it is picking up two providers:  a "secured" network (our local P.D.'s access point down the street) and an "unsecured" network called Netgear.  I was able earlier this year to connect to the chat room by utilizing the Netgear connection, but then someone password protected it.  Hence no connection.  My computer is running a Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection.

I have educated myself a little and think what I need to do is set up a separate *unsecured* wireless profile or "network" of my own to be used specifically when I want to access this chat room (I do not have a router and would rather not use one as I'm rather enjoying the portability of Verizon's wireless service!).  Am I going to need to get a mobile "hotspot" in order to connect ?  If so, how do I set that up?  Or is the issue my software, which is from 2006: version 02.01.19.14 4/10/2006, driver version 2.0.2.7?  if so, someone please post the link to the updated version so I can download it, connect and try again! 

Thanks in advance

DressyFemme

[edit]

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: IRC woes with Verizon Wireless Broadband service
Not applicable

It is illegal to log onto your neighbors unsecured network.  Basically, you are stealing broadband from your neighbor.  All you need to do is log onto the internet using your Verizon mobile broadband connection and then log onto whatever web site you are looking for.

0 Likes
mikeac72
Enthusiast - Level 3

Above poster: You need an IRC client, such as mIRC.

Just use VZW broadband, without connecting to a router.

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
Aircards have a STATIC ip, it turns on and off. Not good for IRC networks and constant connections. Sometimes it goes dormant.
0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
Correction, it may not be called a static ip, but the rest was right. it goes dormant after a while and eventually times out.
0 Likes
JosephMGaffney

No, thats not the issue.  IRC is definitely blocked for me.  Comparing ports between using verizon and putting my laptop in the DMZ at home, a TON of ports are blocked.

I'm pretty ticked about this.

0 Likes