Installing Windows 7 on HP Netbook
kasm199

Hello,

I will be buying the HP netbook from Verizon very soon, probably within the next week or so. While the netbook looks great as is, I'm planning on installing Windows 7 on it since I've read on other tech sites that most netbooks run the new OS smoothly.

I guess my question is, has anyone else tried this? Is there anything that does't work properly with this setup? Like say the camera, Verizon Access software, or whatever else?

Thanks for any input!

Message Edited by kasm199 on 06-01-2009 03:31 PM
0 Likes
Re: Installing Windows 7 on HP Netbook
RustyH

I don't believe VZ Access Manager has a Windows 7 version yet.  That might give you grief with accessing the VZW network.  Before you do the upgrade, I would check with support and see if they have a WIN 7 version available

Rusty

0 Likes
kasm199

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

Well I went ahead and bought the netbook recently and installed Windows 7 on it. Everything works great and the install went smoothly. The only thing I needed to download was the driver for the EVDO card so that Windows can recognize it. Verizon Access software also works like a charm.

Windows 7 is quick and responsive on the netbook, and it's much better, imo, than XP.

0 Likes
beagle
I was looking at the requirements for Windows 7 and it says you have to be able to burn an ISO DVD for installation purposes. Since the Netbook doesn't have an optical drive, I'm guessing that you just ran the installation from a directory?  Any "gotchas" I should be lloking out for other than the card drivers?
0 Likes
kasm199

I mounted the ISO from within XP. I used a free utility provided by Microsoft (it's available at this link) to mount the ISO.

Mount. Install. Update. It really was a simple thing to do.

As far as other things to look out for I haven't run into any issues yet. Actually I forgot to mention the side of the touchpad where you can scroll through pages doesn't work. That's probably just another driver to download but since I don't use that feature much I haven't tried to fix it.

If I can help any other way let me know. Good luck! 

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
u can install Win7 from a bootable USB drive.
0 Likes
ezik1
I'm doing the same thing but, where you download the driver for the EVDO card? any help please
0 Likes
kasm199

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Hope this helps you out. This is the driver you must download: HP Driver download (HP.com)

0 Likes