Interested in Mifi, have a few questions.
ConnieG

I am currently using Hughesnet, which sucks, but worked for me at the time I needed it. I understand all about the fair access policy and usage, however hughesnets usage is DAILY, not monthly like the Mifi will be. Hughesnet provides 200MB of downloads a day, very easy to go over just by watching a few youtube videos, also I leave my computer connected online 24/7 and have my email client open all that time.......so with that said and doing the math, with 5GB a month that works out to be about 170MB a day, I think I can live with that seeing as it's not a daily limit. Also with the current plans Verizon would be $10 a month cheaper. Now the question, with the Mifi can it be left on a computer online 24/7? And I am currently using Windows7 with Windows Live Mail, I prefer to use an email client such as this, NOT  webmail, which I really, really dislike............next question, can I still use Windows Live Mail with Mifi?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Interested in Mifi, have a few questions.
pawdog

The Mifi has no limitations that I have found besides speed and usage amounts.

0 Likes
ConnieG

Thanks for the reply, I guess my question is, is anyone using Windows Live Mail with the Mifi?

0 Likes
HaloQueen0216

I have had the MIFI device for over 11 months.  I am pretty satisfied with it.  To answer your Windows Live question, I use Windows Live everyday.  I have a hotmail email account and I use Windows Live Chat everyday.  I have never experience any problems.  I wouldn't recommend leaving the MIFI device on 24hrs a day b/c it gets really hot when plugged into the wall.  It stays cool as a cucumber if you plug it in directly to the computer using a USB cord but then you cannot use it as a WIFI device.

There are no limitations to the mifi except for the 5GB limit.  You can visit any website, setup any accounts, or download anything you want. 

I am a full time college student.  High speed internet is not available in my area.  The Mifi has been the answer to my prayers.  I do some very light YouTube watching, surf Facebook daily, and I also play Xbox Live in my free time without going over the limit.  The speed is faster if you connect the MIFI device directly to the computer but unlike regular routers you can also move the MIFI device anywhere in your house which is mighty convient.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

0 Likes
ConnieG

Thanks for the reply. Couple questions just to clarify. You do use Windows Live Mail?? But you also use a hotmail account? I am assuming you have the hotmail account forwarded to Windows Live Mail? Everything about the Mifi sounds like what I am looking for, if I could only find out the answers to the mail issue. I really do NOT like webmail such as yahoo or hotmail and want to continue using the Live Mail if possible.

0 Likes
HaloQueen0216

"Thanks for the reply. Couple questions just to clarify. You do use Windows Live Mail?? But you also use a hotmail account? I am assuming you have the hotmail account forwarded to Windows Live Mail? Everything about the Mifi sounds like what I am looking for, if I could only find out the answers to the mail issue. I really do NOT like webmail such as yahoo or hotmail and want to continue using the Live Mail if possible."

To clarify, I have my hotmail acct. directly linked to Windows Live Mail.  But to answer your question I downloaded and installed Windows Live Mail just to make sure it works with the MIFI device.  Everything worked fine.  You will be fine using the Windows Live Mail with the MIFI device.

0 Likes
vmguy

I'm a developer.  MiFi works for absolutely everything I throw at it;

any application, VPN access, wireless phones (android, iPhone), ftp.

In other words, Verizon has implemented the TCPIP standards exactly ... no gimmicks

or restrictions other than access coverage and limits on downloads.

The beauty is that it is just a wireless router you can stick in a small shirt pocket,

and it just works ... no wires to connect, just power up any of your devices and go.

I use Thunderbird primarily, but also Outlook, gmail etc.  Nearly any email service

can be accessed with Thunderbird, which has a lot of nice features.

Another feature you may appreciate is that you can adjust your billing contract month-by-month.

I work primarily out of my home, but when I have to leave, MiFi keeps me in touch

all the time.   No searching for Hot Spots or wireless coverage.  

What a gigantic waste of time that is.   I communicate at 70 mph (my wife driving

of course), listening to streaming video, processing my email, and exchanging

large files ... only a bit slower than my home network.

I love it.   It is expensive to exceed your allotted time.

.... but ... coverage is an issue.  Verizon promised a year ago to  beef up

coverage in my neighborhood "within the month", and it never happened.

Otherwise, I might seriously consider just using this device for all my needs.

A 4G MiFi looks to be about 2013 or so as a serious service contender.

Today, I'm in Miami, and the Verizon coverage is surprisingly weak.

MiFi 2200 gets a fine signal;  the USB 760 at the same location has zero coverage.

The coverage map says I'm in the zone, but I suspect I'm getting analog connections.

This post written ... using USB 760 to connect to MiFi wireless signal,

after downloading the latest VZAccessManager.

Tomorrow, a visit to the local Verizon store.

0 Likes
vmguy

I forgot ... my backup plan is to

{edit for TOS violation}, and install a wireless router on it ( like a MiFi),

and then use the AT&T network.   I cannot afford to stay out of touch for very long.

0 Likes
ConnieG

Thank you very much for all the information. My daughter now has the Mifi, the problem is we can't seem to find the information needed to set up her Outlook email account........I.E. out going mail server, incoming mail server and so on..........

0 Likes
ibanez737
Contributor - Level 1

ConnieG wrote:

Thank you very much for all the information. My daughter now has the Mifi, the problem is we can't seem to find the information needed to set up her Outlook email account........I.E. out going mail server, incoming mail server and so on..........

You would need to get this from the provider of the email (Hotmail, Gmail, AOL, etc).  If you do a quick google search for "email server settings" with the name of the provider, you should be able to find them quickly or on the providers site.

0 Likes