Internet connection sharing um175
lurch
I have been using internet connection sharing on my windows XP for the last 3 years using PCMCIA card and for the last 4 months um175 USB modem. I have had no trouble until 4 days ago it stopped working I'm not able to to get internet on my other computers (2 running vista ) I can get the peer to peer computer connection but only local not internet. There was no changes done to ether of the vista computers . Or XP as far as I know. I have tried everything I know and can find out but noting works.
0 Likes
Re: Internet connection sharing um175
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1
Based on your post, you have confirmed physical connectivity between all PCs. I wonder if a firewall is blocking something on the host PC? Try this, in a command prompt (DOS) window run "tracert www.google.com" from the host PC and from both clients. The first hop from the host should be to the aircard gateway (confirm the default gateway by ipconfig in the command prompt). From the two client PCs, the first hop will be the host PC. From the clients' perspective, that IP address should be a 192.168.x.x, the next hop will be the aircard gateway you saw on the host PC. If it doesn't make it past the first hop, that confirms something on the host is blocking the pings from going out.

I suppose an easier method would be to disable any firewall and try it from the client PCs.

Let us know what you find.
0 Likes
nano856
I have only just started to use the um175, upgrading from the pc5750. I could use the pc5750 on a linksys wireless g router and have my xp desktop, xp laptop, and vista desktop all have access. Now with um175, I was going to try to use internet connection sharing ICS and I cannot get it accomplished. All computers are attached to a linksys router (wired and wireless) and can see each other and get to shared files. I have the um175 installed in the xp desktop and cannot get the vista desktop to connect through it. Do I need to change any of the LAN settings in IE connections tab or something? What can I try that maybe I haven't. I can ping the xp from the vista, I can see all the shared files, printers on the xp from the vista. It's like it just won't make that one last connection to know to go through the aircard on the host. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Nancy
0 Likes
LukeTech
Contributor - Level 1

If I am reading your post correctly, I assume that you upgraded the pc5750 to the um175? Did you change the "Allow other network users to connection through this computer's internet connection" for the dialup connectoid that VZAccess manager created for the um175? If not, then your PC may still be trying to share the connection of the old data card, which is not being used anymore.

Go into the Properties of the dialup icon (in Control Panels> Network Connections) and verify in the General tab that it is on the correct device (the modem should show um175). Then change to the Advance tab and "point" the dialer to which LAN port it should route to.

Message Edited by LukeTech on 07-05-2009 10:37 AM
0 Likes
lurch
yes it was the gateway settings on the host. for some reason the were deleted,on one of the updates it is back working fine thanks for everyones help.
0 Likes
usctech
Where exactly or how do you change these settings?Not sure where to find the gateway settigns on the host other than if I right click on my connection go to properties and fool in there, but you said you did not change anything and it just stopped working so surely you aren't talking about inside there? Thanks in advance for any help!
0 Likes
SYNCBOX

I keep getting "username and password isn't correct for the domain" error messages....

Here's the issue (related to this UM175 device)

We have 2 computers, 2 usb modems and one mobile broadband account. A wireless router won't work for us because the one computer goes VERY mobile (out of range).

The mobile computer (and this one I am using) works using the MiFi2200 modem just fine (I am connected right now).

BUT, we want to put the UM175 modem on this computer.

The software for it is older than that used by the MiFi device. I managed to install the older software by removing the newer version and the MiFi is still working via my Windows Wireless control panel.

But I cannot get the VZAccess software to connect using the UM175. I've used the test WWAN device and it sees it just fine. But when I try to connect, I get errors: "Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain" OR "the remote computer did not respond" OR if I look in the log, I see errors #678, 3008, or 691 in cases of unsuccessful connection. It does seem to connect and try to authenticate.

Is the old software the issue? Or, can you not use different devices? The username and password isn't prompted for though I did find a place where it says to enter said info. It also wants other information I am not sure of. The software is v6.10.10 (2247b). When I press check for updates via the wizard, it says it is the most recent version, but I know that the version with MiFi2200 is newer (v7x, I don't have that on here anymore so I cannot say specifically like with this version).

HELP, please!

0 Likes