Internet speed with a MiFi 4620L
canoeboy

I recently bought a Verizon JetPack and cancelled my DSL service. Since then there is a noticeable decrease in the speed of my internet in my home. I have not tried it elsewhere. It is slow and often stalls out. I also bought a 4G phone. The dropped calls and broken up connections have also been a problem. I did not have that problem with my old flip phone. It worked flawlessly .  I'm showing only one bar in signal strength.   The question is, does the signal strength affect the speed of the internet, as well as the reception of the phone? Do I need a booster of some sort to help both with the phone and MiFi??

Thanks in advanve for your help!

Canoeboy

0 Likes
Re: Internet speed with a MiFi 4620L
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why did you cancel your DSL service?  The MiFi devices are not meant to replace home internet connection service.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
canoeboy

Iwas told at the verizon store that i could use the Jet pack in my home and that there was no need for my telephone company provider.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can, but you have a limited GB allotment with the Jetpack and will be charge for overages.  Did you have a similar arrangement with the DSL service with the same costs month to month?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Canoeboy,

Yes, signal strength does effect the speed of your internet connection.  A stronger signal should always have a faster connection given the same enviornment and parameters.  Chances are that if your device is only showing 1 bar that there is room to improve.

Conduct a Site Survey to find out if extra equiptment is needed to improve your signal strength or not.  Once you know the results of the survey you should be able to determine the appropriate devices and how much you want to invest into your reception.

Site Survey:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html