Is Verizon intentionally "hooking" us on the initial trial period?
fastfreddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having looked through many posts, I think I see a common problem that many of us are having.  That is our wireless internet service starts our well with good connectivity and speed.  After a few months, the problems seem to appear: going dormant, little of no signal strength, sudden disconnects.

One particularly dissapointing learning I experienced was about two months into my contract, and after I realized that my connections was not the same, I asked a verizon service representative how to perform a function like the *228 like you do for the cell phone and found that no such option exists for the wireless internet service.

This makes me wonder - does Verizon "pump-up" the initial access for the trial period then cut back as needed to manage costs after you have accepted the contract?  I thought maybe everything had slowed down because of the trees, but now I'm not so sure.

Another thing is that for the last three months my bill has been outrageously over and I know that ther is no-way that I use the internet that much.  I see from many posters that the usage display is inaccurate and jumps around a lot.  This being the case, what figure does Verizon use when the create the bill?

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon intentionally "hooking" us on the initial trial period?
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
In short, "NO!"
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
BTW, bringing such paranoia to a tech discussion forum is counterproductive.  If you have a problem, ask a legit question, and let's see if someone can help you solve it.  Otherwise you are just ranting.
Message Edited by dave1812 on 08-08-2009 05:31 PM
Message Edited by dave1812 on 08-08-2009 05:31 PM
0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

DAVE..........Some of us **DO** have legitimate concerns about usage and why its not updated correctly, and why there are so many

inaccuracies.

If we feel we need to voice these concerns, we have just as much as a right as you to comment on any issue..

So if do not wish to read our "rants", perhaps you should not read messages in this thread . . . . . . . .

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
Greg, look at the title of the thread.  That title is a provocative rant, rather than a request for help.  The body of the post continues in the same vein. 
0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

Rants/Opinions.....everyone is entitled to their own.

However, I dont believe Verizon " " "pumps-up" the initial access for the trial period then cut back as needed to manage costs after you have accepted the contract"."....

I have no reason to believe that at this point.  HOWEVER, I can tell  you that broadband companies actually DO that (I can write

a book with my experiences at Hughesnet).

However, in the original post, such words as signal strength, dormant connection, disconnects, and inaccuracies in usage are

valid issues for concerns or questions.

Our concerns and or questions are not always addressed either (whether it be on here, email, or phone support).

So for a user to get a HUGE bill when there are flaws in the usage reporting system and it can never be explained or addressed,

we have the right to still complain about it or "RANT" as you call it.

Everyone's experiences and issues are different.

0 Likes
fastfreddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dave,  I am really sorry that you spent your time on my post, especially since it seems out of line by your standards.  You define it as provocative ranting, maybe you are right, but never the less, my questions are legit to me.   Different people have different values.

I am very disspointed with my Verizon service, and really feel that they use tactics to make it difficult for their customers to get straightforward information regarding our service issues and billing concerns.  Bait and switch isn't a new strategy, this wouldn't be the first time it has been used.

Who, besides someone in a technical forum could answer my concerns and questions?  I certainly cannot get satisfactory information from the Verizon service representatives, when they are unable to answer my questions they simply point me in a different direction.....hey, wait a minute???

Greg, thanks for your support

0 Likes
kavanaugh

In fact the thread title is not that far off from truth. I found out today the reason that my mifi download speed has been reduced and has been no higher than 200kb/s for the past couple of weeks is that a "feature" has been added to my account by Verizon that limits download speed because of my data usage. I have come close but not exceeded 5Gb/month, but regardless of data usage I have an unlimited data agreement through my University with Verizon. But the tech support person I spoke with today informed me that there is an "account investigations team" that throttles accounts that reach some secret threshold. I laughed at him when he told me it was a "feature"they added to my account and that my account still had unlimited data usage...it would be funny if it wasn't so Orwellian. It is similar to the word game they played before, advertising "unlimited" data plans that were actually limited. 

There is no way to know they are doing this unless you call and ask, and you have to contact the secret team to ask to get your "feature" removed, M-F  866 221 3979. I don't know how widespread this is and I am going to call first thing Mon. I plan to threaten legal action and if this is widespread I think it would be time to start planning a class action.

0 Likes
fastfreddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kav,  thanks for speaking up.  I really believe this issue is more widespread that any one of us realize.  If more individuals would respond, we would gain a much clearer picture of what is going on.

0 Likes
Greg4Wireless
Enthusiast - Level 3

Almost all broadband carriers do it....some openly admit it, some its posted policy, some you have to "dig it out of" one of the techs!

I'm glad you got Verizon to admit it.  Last month, the same thing happened to me.  With speeds of 800-1000Kbps almost all the time,

it come to the point where i never got more than 300-500kbps at any time.  It only happened for one week, then all was ok, so that's sure verification of what they are doing . . .

Hughes and Wildblue never admit they do it, but I've had both of them and have solid proof.  Hughes just downloads software into your modem and "soft throttles" you...

Just remember, that UNLIMITED is ***NEVER*** unlimited, ever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that there is an "account investigations team" that throttles accounts that reach some secret threshold. I laughed at him when he told me it was a "feature"they added to my account and that my account still had unlimited data usage..

0 Likes