Is anyone else noticed high data usage on their wifi jet pack
martye61
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in to my 3rd day of usage on my wifi jet pack and have done used 618mb of 4G and i dont see how possable, not downloaded any movies, or music, just checked email and facebook and a few sites!!!! This is ridiculas if you ask me. I had changed my bill date then all of a sudden i started getting i was over my usage updates. and i was paid up and then got a pay this amount emediately , and called them and they said i was caught up! If you ask me something is up!!!!  I dont like it at all, and if this keeps up i want keep it for long. Thanks if anyone knows what is up

0 Likes
Re: Is anyone else noticed high data usage on their wifi jet pack
Butte

Check your actual data usage by time. I found that my computer was automatically downloading updates at night. You can block the auto download, or be sure your modem is turned off at night

0 Likes
martye61
Enthusiast - Level 1

ty but my modem is turned off when i am not usen my lap top, thats what weird i turn modem off every time i get off lap top, and turn it back on when i get back on my lap top!!!!

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are several threads about this on this forum if you want to do a search; here's a couple of them:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/901732#901732

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/733756

0 Likes
Aray2112
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased the jet pack early November and was told by the sales staff that you could use up to ten devises with the unit, there was no discussion or warning that it would eat up usage, and I only use it to get on the internet. My first bill after the purchase of the jet pack was $1,200.00. I talked with Verizon and we adjusted my plan and my bill for December was $900.00. This is a consumer rip-off. I plan on taking it to the top level of Verizon Corporation. Please if anybody has been ripped off by this scam help me and others. Let’s pull together and stop the scam. 

Ruben1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same problem.  I cannot find any user controls via. the router or Verizon to restrict usage or even to reduce bandwidth.  I need help fast.  Not sure I can afford this devise.  I've signed up for the max plan available and am receiving penalties on top of that.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

There are no controls to limit your usage on the JetPack or from any Verizon website.  All you can do is swap between 3G and 4G LTE.  The MiFi will consume data as long as one of the connected devices is requesting it.

Management of the data is up to the users.  Find your data leak and stop it or shut down your device when you do not need to use it.  I'd suggest isolating everything that is connected to your JetPack and closely monitoring your usage in regular intervals.  Through trial and error you will eventually discover what is going on in your enviornment.

0 Likes
br1212

I noticed mine used 2GB of data immediately in my new billing cycle. per the text message, which I thought was strange - Considering that I was on vacation and using a broadband connection at the time with my jetpack turned off, I thought this was concerning or an error. Logged in today to pay my bill and it's still showing over 50% usage when I have had it off. Going to log in now and see where the spike is. But considering the higher than normal people complaining about this, I'd say something is going on.

Cheers

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Br,

What you are describing sounds like a delayed usage.  This can happen when you are connecting to non-VZW/roaming towers.  Pending on the relationship between VZW and whoever owns the towers your usage may be collected and sent as a summary to VZW every now and then.  Once VZW recieves the backlogged usage you will see it on your billing statement.  That is the only plausible explanation I have seen so far to justify usage when the device is powered off.

You might want to check with VZW to see who owns the towers that you are connecting to.

Cell Phone Tower Locator:

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/

0 Likes
deedeedotdee

I am incredibly frustrated by Verizon - I've had the 'new' mifi unit since September, and can get no satisfaction as to the gobble of data.  I am becoming convinced that an internal virus, data tracking malfunction, competitor tool - SOMETHING outside of customer control is consuming data.  Each month, the issue is getting worse regarding the length of time it takes for data to be "consumed".

Evidence:

- I teach wireless for a living.  I use the unit (whether or not designed for the purpose) as a hotspot connection for a handicapped adult in a very controlled environment.

- The unit is configured to: no SSID broadcast, no default settings, WPA2-PSK with over 30 char passcode (changed periodically), locked down to allow 1 connection only, setup with a MAC address filter, in a rural community spaced out from other sources of activities.

- I have implemented paid-for data usage controls to prohibit usage during the majority of the day, and to cut off all service at a certain data consumption.

Facts:

- With no devices connected - the unit is self-connecting to network at 2 to 3 hour intervals (including during hours when no connections are allowed and after total data allowed has been consumed).  The data exchanged during these windows is minimal - but still consuming towards a total of what I must pay (handicapped individual cannot handle 'shutting unit off' - but, unit should not be self connecting.  If I can't trust data posted when no device is connected and hours are 'shut off' - how can I trust data posted when a device is connected?).

- When computer is connected during hours that are allowed (adult is surfing you-tube), 1G and 2G transfers record as occurring withing windows of 10 min to 1 hour of each other.  This most recent, the record was 3G in less than one hour.  This is physically impossible via wi-fi transfer to the device.  Even if the mi-fi unit is performing it's own caching - this would mean no one else in the radio-tower area is receiving service.

Issue:

- I am constantly put off my tech and service staff when I call with issues.  Either they tell me I can't possibly know what I'm talking about, or they say I do know what I'm talking about - and, they'll get back to me - "eventually" - I can't even get a ticket number assigned to my cause.

There is no satisfaction, and this issue is going in circles.  The patron is suffering, not being allowed to use the one vector that brings happiness into their world because Internet access is stopped once total data is reached after a week or two of service into the month; and yet - data still gets posted at those 2 to 3 hour intervals until a care-taker can coordinate to get the unit shut off.

Furthermore:

- Verizon also has buried inside records email addresses of previous owners of the phone lines I've been provided - and, these unknown individuals are receiving my alerts.  Personal information from me being sent by Verizon to total strangers.  As I've fought to get this handled, the unknown strangers email has been replaced with "noone@gmail.com".  Now when I complain - I'm told this is not a legitimate address, and the added message is being therefore trashed.  Excuse me, Verizon, but if you want to suggest you have control over copies of my email, then the email should be "noone@verizon.net".  As it is - an email is being generated, and (as addressed) is up to (here) gmail as to the disposition.  The bottom line, is it shouldn't be happening at all!  And, on this issue, I'm told it's handled - only to have the issue to repeat over and over.

Is there any solution to this quagmire?

0 Likes