Issues with Windows 8 and UML295...?
itonastick
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is my first experience using any sort of USB dongle for wireless internet. I'm using a Pantech UML295 with a Lenovo Yoga Convertible Laptop with Windows 8 Professional. Upon inserting the USB dongle into the laptop, it takes a few moments but does eventually connect to the internet. My big thing is that I need to be able to use my Sonicwall Global VPN Client to connect to my corporate network. However, when I launch the application (with the UML295 plugged in) the program never opens. I've also noticed that many other applications either don't open or run extremely slow. Interestingly enough, as soon as I remove the UML295, all "hung" programs magically refresh and open up as normal. The VPN client pops open and attempts to connect (assuming my WiFi signal picks up where the UML295 left off.)

I attempted the same scenario on a Windows 7 laptop and all worked just fine. It looks to me like it's a Windows 8 compatibility issue with the UML295. Has anyone else been experiencing this? With the UML295 being so new, I have been unsuccessful in finding much information on this topic. Hopefully others will start to have some of the same problems and will begin posting their findings. Working in the IT business, I find this issue to be very frustrating, as I am usually the one that's able to solve these types of problems!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Issues with Windows 8 and UML295...?
itonastick
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I found a solution to my own problem, in case anyone else runs into this.

I was able to get it working by launching the Sonicwall Global VPN client BEFORE I plugged in the UML295. It's a very slow connection process but it still connects nonetheless - you just have to be patient with it. After the SW VPN client is enabled, the UML295 will find an IP address and then proceed to authenticate itself on the corporate VPN.

I hope someone can find this information useful.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
itonastick
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I found a solution to my own problem, in case anyone else runs into this.

I was able to get it working by launching the Sonicwall Global VPN client BEFORE I plugged in the UML295. It's a very slow connection process but it still connects nonetheless - you just have to be patient with it. After the SW VPN client is enabled, the UML295 will find an IP address and then proceed to authenticate itself on the corporate VPN.

I hope someone can find this information useful.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for sharing what you did to resolve this issue itonastick.

MarquiaF_VZW

0 Likes