Jetpack 890L and Wired Network
KeithHampton

I live in an area without Cable or DSL internet access.  I do, however, have 4G wireless access and recently purchased a Jetpack 890L and am trying to use it as a replacement for a very expensive and relatively slow fractional T1 line.  So far, I have had relatively good success using an iPad and laptop.  I also purchased a USB wireless adapter to connect my desktop PC.  My issue revolves around being connected to a wireless and wired network simultaneously.  My reason for wanting to connect to the wired network is for access to a network hard drive.  It seems that when I am connected to the wired network that I can also connect to the 890L but cannot connect to the internet via the 890L.  So, I can wireless connect to the 890L and access the internet.  As soon as I connect my desktop PC to the router to which my network drive is attached, I can access my network drive but my internet connection via the 890L drops.  When I disconnect my patch cable from the router, I can reconnect to the internet but, of course, can no longer access my network drive.  I can reconnect my T1 access point to the router and will then get access to my network drive and to the internet, but it is via the slower T1 rather than the 890L.  Is there a way to have a ethernet connection to a LAN for access to my network drives and also be connected wireless to the 890L for internet access?       

0 Likes
Re: Jetpack 890L and Wired Network
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Keith,

Here is a diagram of your environment that I picture from the information you provided:

[Internet )))))) 890L ))))))] Desktop [===== Router ===== Hard Drive]

The problem here is that you have two networks that do not talk to each other.  Without the proper configuration your wired network is never going to talk to the wireless/890L network .  That is why you can only access the network drive or the internet but never both at the same time.

Here's what your new environment should look like:

[Internet ))))) 890L )))))) Repeater ==== Network Drive]

[Internet ))))) 890L )))))) Repeater ==== Desktop]

This way the repeater is serving as a router and is directly connected to all your home devices under one network. There are many possible devices that will perform the necessary functions that you need.  In the past I have used the PepWave Surf for my wireless to wired conversion.  There are also products by Netgear and Cradlepoint that will do the same.  Any product labeled as a network extender should do the trick too.

Let us know if you need more information or examples.

0 Likes
KeithHampton

John,

Thanks for your response.  I have a couple of questions to make sure that I understand the network environment that you have suggested.

The network repeater/extender is not a device with which I am familiar.  I obviously need an additional piece of hardware.  So, my understanding of the diagram is that I would have the 890L connected to the repeater/extender via WIFI.  Then the external hard drive

would be connected to the repeater/extender via ethernet cable.  Would the desktop PC be connected to the repeater/extender via ethernet cable or WIFI or are both options available, that is do the repeater/extenders you are familiar with provide both wired and WIFI connection?   

Thanks again for your help.

KH

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Yup I think you got the right idea.

Basically everything connects directly to the repeater in one way or another. The repeater will rebroadcast its own wireless network  that you can connect your devices to as well.  Most repeaters will setup the network for you automatically.  Depending on your needs more advanced configuration options will be available too.

Id suggest the Pepwave Surf products, Netgear WN2000RPT or a Linksys WES610N.

0 Likes
KeithHampton

It works.  Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.

0 Likes