Jetpack 890L frequently loses 4G, claims 3G but no data, requires hard reset
ArsCerebri

I recently replaced my Sprint MiFi unit (which worked extremely well, but was very slow, as Sprint only has 3G in my area) with a Jetpack 890L from Verizon.  The device started up easily, was straightforward to configure, and the 4G network is WAY faster than the old Sprint 3G that I was used to.

Unfortunately, the device seems to lose 4G connectivity *frequently*, and once it does, it is completely unable to reconnect without turning the device off and back on.  Every time it happens, I look at the device and it claims that it is on 3G with 2-4 bars of reception, but there is absolutely no data transfer at that point.  The device is completely nonfunctional, and it does not recover.  Turn the device off, turn it back on, and bam, it regains the 4G signal and we're off to the races again.  Unfortunately, the race is a Sprint (somewhat poetically), as the device will again lose connectivity in anywhere from 5-30 minutes.

I have seen other discussions about a "dormancy" issue, but I don't think that's what is at play here.  I changed that setting to "never," so it shouldn't ever go "dormant."  I think what's happening is that it loses the 4G handshake and, rather than attempting to regain it, it gives up.  Now, why there is no data transfer when it's claiming a 3G signal remains a total mystery to me.

Anybody been able to resolve this problem, or is this just a device flaw?  FWIW, I tried to update the firmware, but when I click on "software update" and then "check new" on the device, it reports "The server is unavailable."

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

-- David

0 Likes
Re: Jetpack 890L frequently loses 4G, claims 3G but no data, requires hard reset
Willwny

I had the same problem.  They sent me a replacement device - to use with the same sim card - but that didnt work. Finally, someone suggested a new sim card.  That worked and allowed the device to update the firmware.  Its been working perfectly for 2 months.

0 Likes
Re: Jetpack 890L frequently loses 4G, claims 3G but no data, requires hard reset
BlueGoose

Before I switched from Sprint, I used a relative's Jetpack and had very few drops from 4g to 3g over the course of 3-4 months.

I switched to Verizon and I have my device for less than a week and now I have a similar issue of dropping from 4g to 3g after a few minutes of use.  Sometimes the device just boots into 3G.  The coverage map shows that I am in the middle of a huge 4G zone and should get a great connection.

0 Likes
DRH7654
Enthusiast - Level 2

<Duplicate post deleted for crossposting per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ArsCerebri, thank you to you and the community for posting. I want to find a resolution for this issue! It sounds like you have been very proactive in trouble shooting and monitoring the behavior of the problem at hand. As one the community members had suggested, have you ever had the SIM card replaced? Have you ever done a master reset on the device http://bit.ly/S0Yyam ? Please try this and retest.

SammuelP_VZW
VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
BlueGoose

Actually I did all that  you suggested: Cold Boot, replaced the sim card and also replaced the hotspot.  Nothing worked.

This is really frustrating.

I hope this gets resolved.  Thanks for your concern.

0 Likes
ArsCerebri

Sammuel,

I have called Verizon Tech Support several times, and yes, they had me try several things, including a master reset.  None of them have worked, or even improved the problem at all.

I just received a new SIM card today, and have not had a chance to try it yet.  If this solves the problem, I will update this thread.

Thanks,

-- David

0 Likes
ArsCerebri

Well, that was a pretty Epic Fail: the new SIM card won't connect to the network at all.  It claims it has a 3G signal, but it never gets an IP address.  Pop the new card out, pop the old card back in, and we're off to the races again at good 4G speeds... until it randomly disconnects and I have to turn it off and back on again.

Sigh.  I'll be calling customer service soon to let them know this didn't work.

-- David

0 Likes
Crtsharris
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have also had this problem Cannot update software for the device and constantly drops off line and fails to reconnect at 4G. Then will not work in 3G. I have to shutdown the device and restart, hoping that the device will work.

In addition, I called customer service about these problems and was giving a ticket number 5571839. I have had no reply from Verizon since that day. I will call them here shortly and see what they have to say.

So far, pretty poor product.

0 Likes
SeahawkFan80

I have the same exact problem.  The device starts up and finds the 4G network but then within 5-30 minutes it drops down to the 3G network and the only way I can get it reconnect to the 4G network is by turning the device off and then on again.  Then the whole process repeats - within 5-30 minutes I drop from 4G to 3G again.  I know for a fact that I'm in a 4G area because I borrowed and used a friend's Verizon MifI 4620LE for a full week without any problems.  I was able to stay connected to the 4G network the entire time with that device.  My download speeds are lightening fast on 4G but drop down to less than 0.25MB on 3G which is worse than what I have on my current DSL.  What should I do?  Firmware update?  Hard reset?  Reconfigure the settings to only point to the n/g network?  or the LTE?  I'd appreciate any help you can provide.  Thank you.

-- Kate

0 Likes