Jetpack LTE and older imac w/airport connection issue
mbenatar

Hello,

I get an error message when trying to login to jetpack lte with an older imac G4 OSX 10.4.11 via the airpot card. Can I disable WEB security on this unit to bypass the WEP security password issue? I can login onto this unit with my Macbook Pro no problem.

This is my mom's computer and I am trying to help her out. It is her only means of internet where she lives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marten

0 Likes
Re: Jetpack LTE and older imac w/airport connection issue
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello Marten,

Which JetPack are you referring to here?  Let us know so we can try to provide you the steps.

Regardless of the model what you are requesting should be possible.  It sounds like all you want to do is change the password type on your JetPack which is a simple configuration change. 

0 Likes
mbenatar

Hello,

It is a Jetpack 4G LTE 890L. The imac cannot login in due to a error

message that I get regarding WEP error. I think it's a error due to

her OSX being 10.4.11 and not 10.5. I am trying to figure out a work

around so she doesn't have to login with a security password.

I can login with my intel mac no problem. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Marten

Verizon Jetpack™ 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Marten,

If you disable WEP from the MiFi you will disable security for everyone and leave your device open and vulnerable to moochers.  I do not suggest opening your connection up to the world as anyone who connects without your consent will hold you liable for thier data usage.

Instead, a better technique would be to change the password type from WEP to WPA or preferrably WPA2.  The newer security types will be more secure than WEP anyways and should always be used whenever possible.

Regardless, the steps to change your password to disabled or another type are all the same.  Test them out and choose which ever option will work the best for you.  See the MiFi 890L User Guide for more details:

http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/vzw_890_jetpack/eufi_890_manual.pdf

To change the MiFi 890L Security Type:

1. Connect a computer to the MiFi

2. Navigate to 192.168.1.1 or http://vz.hotspot

3. Sign into the MiFi with the admin password printed on the back of the device

4. Navigate to WiFi Settings > Security

5. Change the Security Type

6. Confirm and record your wirelss password in the Password field (this will change from type to type)

7. Click Apply

0 Likes
mbenatar

Hi John,

I understand your concerns with disabling the security. I will the try

the other options to see if I can get her older imac to work with it.

Her imac is not quite fast enough to upgrade to Leopard.

Do you think that the login issue that I am having with her computer

is related to the version of OSX that she is running?

Thanks,

Marten

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

It could be related to her version.  The original version of WinXp could only connect to WEP wireless networks.  It wasn't until later updates and service packs that newer and more secure wireless protocols were supported.  I always have to apply service packs manually over a Ethernet cable in order to get my freshly loaded XP machines beyond that limitation.

Other possible reasons could be:

- Wireless adapter is incompatible with the Wireless signal.  Lower the Wireless mode of the MiFi from BGN down to BG or G

- Wireless password is cached on the computer.  Delete the old wireless profile and start over with a fresh connection.

- Computer is too far away from the MiFi.  Keep the computer closer to the MiFi or purchase a Wi-Fi extender/repeater.

0 Likes