Longer antenna extender cable?
jhart1a

Hello...I have a scenario where I will need to add about 75 feet to the included 25' antenna extender cable and was wondering if anyone has found a way to do this?  There are concrete walls surrounding the needed location of the extender and I need about 75 additional (about 100' total) to get a signal from the GPS antenna.  Does anybody know how to get the total length of around 100' for the GPS antenna?

Thanks,

John 

0 Likes
Re: Longer antenna extender cable?
sciphydude
Enthusiast - Level 2
I would check with a store such as Radio Shack to see if they carry a longer mini-coaxial cable. They seems to carry everything.  Or you can try calling Verizonwireless and see if they have anything available.
0 Likes
JoeM845

You will probably have an issue with signal loss and other deterioration over such a long antenna cable. You would need to know the minimum signal strength needed at the extender, the signal strength in your area, the gain provided by the antenna provided with the extender, and the expected loss in the extra cabling to determine if enough signal would reach the extender. I know none of these.

0 Likes
ColdnFrosty
Just a pointer for you at www.spectracomcorp.com

ANTENNA CABLE AND ACCESSORIES
Spectracom recommends low-loss coaxial cable such as Times Microwave LMR-400 for the GPS
antenna cable.
The attenuation characteristics of the LMR-400 or equivalent at the L1 frequency (1575.42 MHz) limit
the antenna cable length to a maximum of 300 feet (350 feet for Spectracom Model 8100 series
products).
Spectracom offers standard and plenum-rated GPS cable assemblies terminated with weatherproof,
male, type N connectors already installed.
The Model 8228 includes a 50 foot antenna cable to run between the antenna and the GPS receiver.
Spectracom recommends the distance between the antenna and GPS receiver be no greater than 50
feet.
0 Likes