Losing connection using UMW190 with windows 7....had old cpu running fine...get the new cpu/printer etc now i lose connection .....
It's probably not your new PC or the modem. I have a UM175 and I've been knocked off the system 4 times today. Happens almost every day now. Signal strength has been getting worse at my home the past 3 months on both my modem and my Blackberry. Previously, I had 4-5 bars all of the time, now I'm lucky if I get 2.
Please ensure that you have the latest VZ Access Manager software for your operating system. You can find the latest VZ Access Manager software for your operating system at the link below:
If you need further assistanceplease send me a private message including your wireless number to access your account and the best call back number and we will be happy to call you to assist you with this connectivity issue. If you prefer, you can contact our Technical Support department at 1-800-922-0204 for immediate assistance.
I did call support and they asked me to removeand reinstall VZ Access manager which I did. The issue still exists. here are the errors I am receiving:
"Connection failed, specified port id not open error 618"
I have also noted that at the bottom of the screen it says "Device is not connected"
This seems to be a port issue. I had an eariler version of the Pantech card which worked fine but I needed to replace it because of a physical issue with the card. This new card (UMW 190) seems to be having issues in the Win 7 environment and causes the port to close down. I had the UMW 190 replaced by Verizon and I am experiences the same issues as the Old card.
I have to close VZ Access manager and physically remove the UMW 190 and then insert the device again and restart VZ Access manager to reestablish the signal, just closing VZ Access Manager does not work.
Check the Event Viewer and see what it tells you about the specifics. This offers lots of clues.
Win 7: Click start>type in event>see the event viewer logs in the top of the search window>click it> on the left select Custom Views then Admin. Events
Look to the right and under the source it may be something RAS Client or DHCP or even look at the time and date to match when the issue happened.
The UMW190 has a SIM card in it for Global connections, unplug the device, take it out reinsert the device into the port then run activation, this may help. Also, it could be that you have another active connection like ethernet cord plugged in from a router or your internal wireless is trying to connect (if VZAM hasn't disabled it) this can cause the port to be confused.
You might also look at Internet Options and make sure the Dialup connection is set to "Never Dial a Connection" if it's not, then it may be attempting to dial when the VZAccess Manager is doing the work.
Let me know if this helps at all.
You may also have another program trying to access the connection like fax or skype software or if your printer is a network printer that could be causing the issue too.