MIFI 2200 or not?
melissaisdown

I have a G4 Mac that's only powerpc.  It has no aircard for airport.  I really want some sort of mobile broadband for it, like the mifi 2200 or the new 4G hotspot but I'm worried that even if I get a usb adapter to connect a hotspot or an airport card it still won't work. It seems most mbb drivers are only for intel macs, including vzam.  Help or suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: MIFI 2200 or not?
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

The MiFi 2200 requires a direct connection to VZ Access Manager for its initial configuration, but once configured it becomes a standard WiFi hotspot and no longer needs to be tethered. The Samsung 4G LTE neither requires nor supports a direct tethered connection, it is WiFi only. So either one will meet your requirements, except that you would need a different computer for initial configuration of the MiFi 2200. The MiFi is a 2+ year old product, which makes it obsolescent if not obsolete. I would go with the Samsung (I just did, got it yesterday to replace my MiFi). 

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

PDCLarry wrote:

The MiFi 2200 requires a direct connection to VZ Access Manager for its initial configuration

[...] The MiFi is a 2+ year old product, which makes it obsolescent if not obsolete.

I just got the MiFi 2200 4/2/2011.  It's free, and I have a 3GB/$35 2 year plan.

It does not require VZAccess to activate, and VZAccess is not on the "cdrom" device that appears when you connect it via USB.

I plugged it in to the wall charger, connected via WiFi, and activated it from the device home page.

Later, I used the DriverInstaller.msi found on the USB drive to install just the drivers, no VZAcess on my Windows 7 machine, and configured a USB-tethered dialup connection to Phone number #777 no name, no password.

So, it is a suitable device for Linux as a WiFi only.  I took a glance at installing it on Fedora, which recognized it as a CDROM, but not as a modem.

The only annoyance was setting up the MyVerizon account, where they expect you to read a text message, available via VZAccess, or wait for USMail for the initial password.

Obsolescence is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but it is a fine device so far, after a couple of weeks.

--

Clarence

0 Likes
melissaisdown

But does it require vzam (and those drivers)  to access the web, or no? Because verizon makes it sound like it does with that device but not the new samsung 4G one. I have a make (tower) with no airport card so if I buy this device I also need a usb wifi adapter (dongle) or ethernet bridge, so it will be an investment.  I really want some feedback before I decide, so thank you.

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

melissaisdown wrote:

But does it require vzam (and those drivers)  to access the web, or no? Because verizon makes it sound like it does with that device but not the new samsung 4G one. I have a make (tower) with no airport card so if I buy this device I also need a usb wifi adapter (dongle) or ethernet bridge, so it will be an investment.  I really want some feedback before I decide, so thank you.

It does not required vzam or drivers if you use it as a WiFi device only. But I dont see any advantage that it has over the Samsung, which test at 10 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload. The best my MiFi ever did was 1.5 Mbps down, 500 Kbps up. And that was on a good day. The MiFi was a great device 2 years ago (my department has 40 of them), but technology marches on. And if you are upgrade elogible there is a very attractive offer for both purchase and monthly discounts. Check your MyVerizon account.

0 Likes
melissaisdown

I agree. I've read the specs & reviews and it seems like that 4G hotspot (even though I'm in a 4G coverage area) might be more of an inconvenience. Lots of people saying it disconnects and the battery life isn't good. I'm sure Samsung is still working out the kinks. Whereas with this Mifi, it's been around a while and reliable reputation is sometimes better than new/faster. I'm grateful you clarified about using it as a wifi, I would never of thought based on the literature I read on it.

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

In one day's testing the Samsung 4G has gotten better battery life than the MiFi I've been using for 2 years. I've had no problems with it powering off or disconnecting; whereas my MiFi would disconnect pretty consistently. And there's an extended life battery option for the Samsung from the manufacturer (There's one for the MiFi, but it's 3rd party).

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

melissaisdown wrote:

... Whereas with this Mifi, it's been around a while and reliable reputation is sometimes better than new/faster. I'm grateful you clarified about using it as a wifi, I would never of thought based on the literature I read on it.

I have seen nothing on the web or Verizon pages that says you can activate it without VZAccess, but I didn't even think about it.

Fired up WiFi, connected, Activated.

I looked at 4G, but 4G plans are more expensive.  I'm not in a 4G area anyway, so that limits my selection.

I'm tied to my Blackberry for now.  When I'm ready to move a phone/hotspot sounds like the next good thing, but can you talk and hotspot at the same time?  I don't think so.

--

Clarence

0 Likes
saturn9

I got myself in a jam and had to buy a mobile device. I've never used WiFi until now, at my last place I had cable internet. I'm unemployed and didn't have a lot of money to spend. I already had a phone through Verizon so I signed a 2 year contract with a free MiFi 2200, $50 per month for 5GB. I've used it everyday for 2 1/2 weeks and so far it's performed flawlessly. The icon on the systray (XP) shows speed @ 54.0 Mbps, Signal Strength: Excellent. If I had gone with 4G it would only have used up the 5GB limit faster. My main concern about the plan is going over the limit. I plan on keeping a close eye on that. I know enough to turn off all auto updates (which I never use anyway) except for Avast AV. I allow it to auto update. I use Firefox and added the extension Flashblock to it. I use Chrome sometimes. I do wish there was a program to monitor usage without having to log on to MiFi Admin. or Verizon. I checked out that program someone mentioned called NetMeter but it's shareware and I can't afford it now. To me the MiFi 2200 has been a life saver because I can continue looking for work and handle my affairs online. I can still listen to streaming audio and video  

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

The 54 Mbps shown in the system tray is the speed of the connection between the computer and the MiFi. It is NOT the speed of your connection to the Internet, which is limited to EVDO speeds (1.5 Mbps max, probably around 700 Kbps. But I give you joy of your solution.

0 Likes