MIFI Device
Arkfbplayer52

Okay I just ordered mine and I am waiting to receive it, but I wanted to ask a question to somebody who already had one. I plan to not only use my MIFI for my laptop when on the road and what not, but also as my primary internet connection on my personal desktop computer. Now the service rep said yes I can do this but like I said, I wanted to check with someone who truly knows. Can I have the MIFI plugged up to my Desktop Computer via USB and have the WIFI connection being put out so I can have interent access on my personal desktop & use the WIFI on my Playstation 3 or other wireless internet device in my house? Like I said, the service Rep said yes, but I wanted to confirm with an owner. Thanks and please tell me what you think of the MIFI also.

0 Likes
Re: MIFI Device
cinderbloke
Contributor - Level 1

The MiFi does NOT simultaneously support USB data connectivity and WiFi. One possible solution would be for you to purchase a USB WiFi adapter for your desktop and connect to the MiFI over WiFi as well as your Playstation 3 or other wireless internet device. One advantage in this configuration is that you will have more freedom (within 30' of the WiFi-connected devices - I was able to use it up to 50' without problems) in optimizing the placement your MiFi in a better location to receive data service.

The MiFi will support WiFi when connected to its power supply and, presumably, from most powered USB ports using a charging cable (without the data leads).

I like the MiFi quite a bit, it is a great device. Other than a few glitches in initial setup, it has been working near flawlessly since. It's almost too easy to use - be sure to keep good track of your usage! Which leads me to the following warnings: Even assuming you will go for the 5GB service, remember (a) that is for total sent and received data - not 5GB up plus 5GB down, (b) data speeds may not be sufficient to give adequate bandwidth to your Playstation3 and other devices simultaneously, (c) it is near impossible to keep track of actual usage in real time - even at 5¢ per MB after you exceed your cap, you could easily rack up a huge bill.

Message Edited by cinderbloke on 06-11-2009 08:27 AM
Message Edited by cinderbloke on 06-11-2009 08:29 AM
0 Likes
Arkfbplayer52

cinderbloke....

Can you please direct me to a link for this adapter you are talking about? Is it expensive? So in essence this USB Adapter allows my Desktop Computer to pick up WIFI?

As regards to my PS3, I currently have a Novtel Ovatio U720 & it works great. I plug it directly into my Desktop & then I run a Ethernet cable from the back of my PC directly to my PS3 and most of the times I dont have connection issues sharing internet between the two. I am hoping for the same with the MIFI since it's suppose to be just as fast.

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
The rep is wrong.  If you connect to laptop via cable, the unit will not provide wifi signals. It's an "either/or" thing.  I've had 2 units already and neither one is working correctly.  I've tried contacting Novatel for support, without success.  It looks like I will be returning the units by next week.  There is no way to know when the unit is charging, nor when it is fully charged.  The unit does NOT function in the manner indicated by the FAQ or manual.  Bummer.  When it works, it works well, but the status light situation is a big problem and there appears to be no fix.  Novatel is not a company the typical consumer will be happy to deal with.
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
If you are planning on playing games on the PS3 via the MiFi, you may have issues with the limited data allowance of 5GB.
0 Likes
Arkfbplayer52

That sucks. The guy who responded 1st says his works fine.

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
My second MiFi works well too, EXCEPT for the status light issues.  I just got a call from Novatel and they are researching the issue.  They said there have been no updates released so far, but there is an update coming.  No word yet on if that fixes the status light issues.
Message Edited by dave1812 on 06-11-2009 12:51 PM
0 Likes
cinderbloke
Contributor - Level 1

Arkfbplayer52: Yes, a USB Wi-Fi adapter would allow your desktop to pick up Wi-Fi. They are sold at most electronics stores (BestBuy, Radio Shack, many on-line stores) for well under $100. Since the MiFi is 802.11 b/g, that's all you need for your desktop as well.

From your OP I understood you were connecting your PS3 to the internet over Wi-Fi, not that it was cabled via Ethernet to your desktop. However, if you were able to share the connection from your Novatel  Wireless Ovation U720 (Sprint) with your PS3 over Ethernet, I presume you'd be able to do the same using the MiFi - USB/WiFi adapter combo to bring internet to your desktop, but I have never done that myself so YMMV.

But again, as I said in my first post, be aware of how much data you're using ... it could get very expensive if you go over your data cap.

EDIT to add: As I said in my first post, my MiFi works fine.There were a few glitches when I first started using it (including the flashing amber light indicating a "modem error", but it has been running well for me since. BTW, there is a small hole in the back of the MiFi through which you can poke a paper clip to reset the MiFi.

Message Edited by cinderbloke on 06-11-2009 03:15 PM
0 Likes
CellEmental
Thanks cinderbloke, good idea to use a USB WiFi adapter with my MiFi as a backup for my desktop cable internet! :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
jegale

it has been driving me crazy how we can be on $80 overage on my 10 GB wifi plan with verizon. what am i doing wrong? how can i get this back under control? I don't understand the whole sent and receive thing? so for every 5 GB im using is 5 GB thrown away. I had to do this (well guess i should have shopped around first) my unlimited unit was from Alltell, they are going to shut down that system around January. The sales guy at verizon said it was just fine without using to much netflix. im not even using netflix anymore. my mother in law uses way less than 1 GB per month for 3 computers and with a desk top and laptop i am blowing my 10 GB out of the water, HELP

0 Likes