MIFI Roaming
fixit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a setting for "Home" (no roaming) on the MIFI2200?  This might solve my problem of a stronger, but much slower, roaming signal taking over my MIFI at certain times of the day.  Does anyone have an email address for Novatel to write them about including a "No Roam" option? 

0 Likes
Re: MIFI Roaming
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

Yes, there is a way to set the "No Roam" option on your MIFI. You must connect your computer to your MIFI device using a USB cord. You can set the "No Roam" data feature using the following steps:

1) Connect your computer to your MIFI Device using USB

2) Access "Vz Access Manager"

3) Go to OPtions 

4) Click "Preferences"

5) Check the Box next to "Do Not Connect While Roaming"

Additionally, if  your using the MIFI with one device, you can tether your computer to the MIFI using a USB cord to create a stronger signal but your signal will depend on tower location and signal is also limited when it tries to pass through brick, steel, or other material. 

Also, you can refresh your MIFI device to the network by updating the PRL on your device. The steps are below:

1) Connect MIFI to device

2) Click on VZ ACCess Manager

3) Go to OPtions

4) Click Activations to update PRL

If you continue to have issues, you may send me a private message with your contact number and we can review the steps together.

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
molaker
Enthusiast - Level 3

If roaming is set to "off" while connected via USB, if I disconnect from USB and stop using VZ Manager, will the "no roaming" feature remain in effect or do I have to stay connected via USB to keep roaming turned off?

0 Likes
fixit
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see that option, and I've checked it.  However, will I still be able to connect to a Verizon signal  if the Roaming signal is stronger (but alas still much slower)?In other words, will the MIFI still "look" for roaming signals?  I  only want my MIFI to connect to Verizon, while I'm at home. The roaming signal I'm getting will not even support connection to the internet, yet it is stronger than the Verizon signal which although weaker is very fast.  Does this make sense?

I will try the device and let you know what I observe, but if you have predictions, fire away please.  Thanks.

0 Likes
fixit
Enthusiast - Level 2

I checked the box in preferences.  I still get a steady blue light almost everywhere in my home, but late at night, I get a stronger Verizon signal or weaker roaming signal.  So, the MIFI is still detecting the roam signal in preference to Verizon's.  How do I make the MIFI lock on to the verizon signal and ignore the roaming.  As I've said the roaming is useless, since I can't connect to the internet with it, but the less strong (?) Verizon signal works great WHEN it is allowed to shine through.

RalphT
Contributor - Level 3
Remember that you will need to close your VZ Access manager and unplug the USB cable in order to use the MIFI. Roaming is associated with coverage in the USA only. You will only be billed for roaming if you use your service out side of the USA. Thank You
0 Likes