MIFI works on Vista and not XP
LCVette

I also spent hours on the phone with verizon without any help and disconnected, because their support ends at 11:00 p.m. and it was 11:03.

When I attempt to enter the password on the XP laptop I receive an error about the format of the password. 

MiFi is supposed to compatible with XP & Vista according to their system requirements.

The MiFi Connect Information that is included in the box with the MiFi states, "Please note the VZAccess Manager currently supports WPA/WPA2 on Windows Vista but not on 2000, XP or Mac OS.  Please see your Wi-Fi Connection Manager's user guide for more information on the Wi-Fi security modes supported for the various operating systems".

Where does this user guide they are referring to exist, I kept referring to this with the tech support and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Note:  I can be on the Vista computer wirelessly and the XP with the MiFi connected, but the point is both need to be wireless.

I am very frustrated and would appreciate any help with this matter.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MIFI works on Vista and not XP
RudyTX
Enthusiast - Level 1

The cause of the problem is most likely the computer wireless adapter or its driver version.

I had the opposite situation, it worked in my XP laptop and Apple iTouch but not in my Vista Laptop until I updated the wireless adapter driver (Atheros AR5007eg  adapter).

In rare case, the computer adapter may not support WPA (or WPA-PSK) security, in which case you can change the adapter being used (I did that for an old lapto.  I use there a USB Netgear WG111 adapter that works with the Mifi).  However, try updating the driver version of the wireless adapter first.  Most likely that will solve the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

the user guide is ON THE MIFI.  connect the MiFi to a PC, using the cable and you will see a virtual drive in explorer.  that drive contains the guide.

Don't you just LOVE Verizon's tech support??  LOL!

0 Likes
LCVette

Thanks for the information, I did read the manuals when I plug in the MiFi to my laptop, but there is no reference to the information the document refers to regarding the different operating systems.

0 Likes
donfixit

I set up a password from Verizon website 192.168.1.1 and everything was fine until 7/26 and then nothing worked. I finally was able to connect on my Vista operating machine without using VZacess but  with Vista operating system. On my notebook with Xp I could not connect at all. After spending much time with less then helpful tech support. Finally found a temp solution.

I went to their website above logged in and removed security by changing to open and everything worked ok. I hope Verizon corrects what ever they did as I would not advise using in a public place as every one will access to your computer.

0 Likes
Kenb
I have Vista on 2 laptops and XP Media Center on a 3rd. I can connect all 3 using WPA2 with no problems. Check your PC and see what is managing your wireless devices. I've done it thru Intel Pro, Windows wireless management and VZAccess Manager and all connect with no problem using WPA2 security.
0 Likes
RudyTX
Enthusiast - Level 1

The cause of the problem is most likely the computer wireless adapter or its driver version.

I had the opposite situation, it worked in my XP laptop and Apple iTouch but not in my Vista Laptop until I updated the wireless adapter driver (Atheros AR5007eg  adapter).

In rare case, the computer adapter may not support WPA (or WPA-PSK) security, in which case you can change the adapter being used (I did that for an old lapto.  I use there a USB Netgear WG111 adapter that works with the Mifi).  However, try updating the driver version of the wireless adapter first.  Most likely that will solve the problem.

0 Likes
LCVette

Thanks so much to everyone for your help, I downloaded the latest driver for my wireless adapter and we are up and running.

0 Likes