MIFI2200 plan not covering the use of a Smartphone (Eris) for $59.99 per month
bobeldridge

We are disappointed that Verizon requires us to purchase another data plan "IF" we wish to switch to a Smartphone.  It is not feasible for us from a cost standpoint.  We were led to believe that the MIFI2200 could handle up to five wireless devices but were not told that it would not be usable for the data with a SmartPhone such as the Eris.

We will not be upgrading to a Smart Phone if we are required to purchase an additional data plan.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: MIFI2200 plan not covering the use of a Smartphone (Eris) for $59.99 per month
Not applicable

Of course they require different plans.  They are two totally different devices.  I have a Droid and USB760.  The Droid requires a $29.99 unlimited data plan, and the USB760 requires a $59.99 data plan limited to 5 GB.

0 Likes
Re: MIFI2200 plan not covering the use of a Smartphone (Eris) for $59.99 per month
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

U are confused.   smartphone require their own dataplan.   Why on earth would you expect that you would just use the wifi feature of a MiFi to access data for a phone?   The MiFI is for devices that don't have a 3G connection, such as a laptop or ipod Touch.   Seems to me you just aren't familar with what a MiFi is used for.

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

Well, on a side note, if you have a wifi capable smartphone you could use the wifi from the Mifi.  However, I agree with the other posters in that there was a misunderstanding about the data plans.

0 Likes
phaadra

Well I am confused because I called Verizon today to get 3G for my ipad. and decided the 60 bucks a month over and above my data plan was just to much. But then they said I could get a phone with Hot Spot and I wouldn't have to get a wifi card and I could just use the data plan I already have,( I have unlimited data for my HTC touch pro). Well I was up for a new phone so I got the palm pre. I asked the gal several times and she assured me that that is all I would need. I got to wondering later and called in again to be sure and once again this person assured me I could use the hotspot on my palm pre on my current data plan. I should get my phone tomorrow or Friday I will be excited to try it out and am really jazzed if I can do as they say!

0 Likes
Not applicable

What you're describing is tethering.  You can tether some phones to provide internet access for a computer or IPad, etc.

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

Actually the Palm Pre behaves similarly to the Mifi in that it is a mobile hotspot as well and does not have to be tethered to the computer.  So the salesperson was correct in this.

As for the iPad, that is still a AT&T only product and cannot be used with a Verizon data plan/package.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Are you sure about that?  I would think you could use an Ipad with any internet provider via WIFI.  I could be wrong I guess.

0 Likes
phaadra

Well the gal that sold me the phone said that the wifi hot spot will make just exactly that....

"a wifi hotspot"  that any device that is wifi capable can connect to, I picked up the idea from cnet, they were saying that anyone who ordered a ipad without 3g could still get 3g by using one of the wifi devices that are available. Hopefully I will get my phone tomorrow or Saturday, then I will let you know for sure.

0 Likes
phaadra

Okay here is the scoop...Received my palm pre, turned on the hot spot feature and in a matter of seconds I had my ipad on line via the Verizon hot spot. A small flyer came in the box with my palm pre advertising that for a limited time Verizon will wave the 40 dollar  monthly fee that turns your palm pre into a 3G mobile hotspot. So for now all things are good!

0 Likes