Mi/Fi hotspot or HomeFusion
sadiebear

I currently have a USB 3G modem that provides my home internet on my main computer.  Its time for a change so I can connect other devices to my internet.  I have been considering both the MiFi hotspot or HomeFusion.  Both are 4G, with both I will lose my current unlimited data package,   4G is 4G, isn't it?  Would I really get that much higher of a speed to warrant losing the mobility and having the higher equipment cost of HomeFusion?  My kids like to be able to use the computer while we are driving during travel, we can consider losing that option, but not unless I have a benefit that outweighs losing it.  Also, currently I get a $20 discount on my mobile broadband since I have a Verizon Wireless cell phone, do I continue to get this discount off the advertised prices of the MIFI or HomeFusion?  I cannot find anywhere on the site that talks about this discount (perhaps it is no longer available at all ?)

Any input is appreciated! 

Sadie

0 Likes
Re: Mi/Fi hotspot or HomeFusion
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

4G is 4G.  However, each device comes with different hardware to connect to the 4G network.  Thus some devices will have a beter 4G signal than others.  The difference between 4G devices is minimal,  but you will always notice an improvement from 3G to 4G LTE.

HomeFusion comes with equiptment that is better suited for an always on internet home connection.  The MiFi's are small and lightweight and intended for travelers.  Considering you plan to use your decision as a home internet connection I would suggest going with HomeFusion and get the kids a game console or Gameboy when you travel. 

Go with HomeFusion if you want a faster connection but no mobility.

Go with a MiFi if you want mobile internet but a slower connection.

0 Likes
Re: Mi/Fi hotspot or HomeFusion
sadiebear

John,  Thank you for your reply.  The kids do have Nintendos, but they are now teenagers, and online is where they like to be.  We do frequent long distance travel, so I am leaning towards the MIFI to keep that mobility.  If we'd never have the mobility before it would be an easier choice to go with Home Fusion.   We also do not have internet on our phones or a GPS in the van (gasp! I know), not a fan of either of those, so it gives us the ability to find things when we are on the road when needed and get traffic updates.  I appreciate your response, it gave me a lot to think about!

Sadie

0 Likes