Mi-Fi vs. Cradlepoint
smasha1

I have a Verizon air card.  I want to be able to connect my wireless Kodak printer and my Wii.  Which would be better/cheaper for me, Mi-Fi or Cradlepoint?  And if I got the Cradlepoint, which one would I need?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

0 Likes
Re: Mi-Fi vs. Cradlepoint
Cellguru

smasha1 wrote:

I have a Verizon air card.  I want to be able to connect my wireless Kodak printer and my Wii.  Which would be better/cheaper for me, Mi-Fi or Cradlepoint?  And if I got the Cradlepoint, which one would I need?

If you already have the Verizon USB card, then a Cradlepoint will be cheaper and not require that you extend your contract. 

They start at $89 and can be used with another carrier should you move in the future  to an area not covered by Verizon.  The $89 unit does not have the chipset to support 4G, now or in the future, so spending a little extra for one that does may pay off in the long run.   All the other models can support the newer faster 4G technologies.

I use the MBR1000 at my house with two college kids.  The beauty of the MBR1000 is that it will manage more than one aircard at a time (2 USB + 1 Express).   We use two aircards, we use one when we travel and when we are not traveling, they both are plugged into the router.   This gives us more bandwidth (not necessarily more speed) and also keeps the load balanced between the two cards so we don't run over the 5GB limit.

The MiFi is a cute little unit but the range and limitations on it made it not practical for us.

HTH

0 Likes
Re: Mi-Fi vs. Cradlepoint
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

A Mi-fi device would not be the best option for online gaming.  Depending on how much you play online, you could use up your data allowance very quickly.  For online gaming a home internet connection is usually  recommend.  For the wireless printer, there is usually not a lot of data used with printing, unless you are printing multiple documents on a daily basis.    If you are a casual gamer, you can monitor your usage for the first month.   Cradlepoint will work for you, but you would still be within your plan allowance and you would need  to purchase the Cradlepoint device for the connection with a aircard.  The Mi-fi device would do basically the same thing.  If you are eligible to upgrade you would probably want to go with the Mi-fi device.   The prices of the devices  would be the determining factor, as the plan price would be the same.

0 Likes