MiFI 4510L Drops Browser Connectivity Every 30 minutes
MIFIUser4GLTE

Every 30 mintues, my second brand new 4510L drops browser internet connectivity.  Email, IM, etc., still work, but internet access via IE does not.  The only way to reconnect is to reboot the computer and turn the mifi off and on. 

As mentioned, I thought I had a defective unit, and returned the first one.  Second one has the identical same problem. 

0 Likes
Re: MiFI 4510L Drops Browser Connectivity Every 30 minutes
98Ultrasport

I wonder if it is the 4510 or a problem with IE?  I have a 4510 and while it has several problems, not the least of which is the inability to switch from 3G back to 4G if it has been used in a 4G environment while set to GLOBAL, it has never had the problem you describe while using it with Firefox.

I use mine, plugged into the charger, for days at a time and it always connects.  I DO have it set of EVDO only (or, if I'm in a 4G area, for LTE only) but it has never required a re-boot for the problem you seem to have.

Upon occasion, I will have to click on a link or address twice to "wake it up" but other than that, it works acceptably.

Have you tried it with another browser?

Steve

0 Likes
timbo69

I too am very disappointed in the 4510. I has trouble switching from 3g to 4g. It sometimes just shuts off and it has trouble staying connected to my laptop. It looks like this has been a problem for quite sometime and talking to support yesterday there is not a software update available. Very unhappy.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

See this thread for more information:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-Devices/4G-LTE-4510L-hotspot-mifi-device-won-t-stay-co...

The MiFi 4510 is designed to go dormant when no internet activity is detected.  This is a safety feature to help you preserve battery life while on the road.  Unfortunetly it does not always wake itself back up from the dormant state.  There are several quick fixes you can try to use and influence your MiFi's behavior.

Rebooting the computer should not have any impact on the MiFi or its connection.  You should worry about resetting the MiFi only in the future.

Let us know what you have tried so far so that we can document what works and what does not.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

The Mifi 4510L is designed to lose connection with a device after 30 minutes of dormancy. This is so you do not use your data allowance while not using the device. However, you are able to change the settings on the device, but it can drain the battery much quicker. Below I have provided this information. 

1. Access the Administration Page.
  2. From the Home screen, navigate Advanced > Power.
    Advanced menu Power
  3. From the Battery Power section, select an Enter Standby Mode setting then select Apply.
    • Never
    • After 2 minutes idle time
    • After 5 minutes idle time
    • After 10 minutes idle time
    • After 20 minutes idle time
    • After 30 minutes idle time
    • After 40 minutes idle time
    • After 50 minutes idle time
    • After 60 minutes idle time
    Power Management

I hope this information is helpful. Have a great day!

0 Likes
98Ultrasport

I think you missed the point...  The poster says, "Email, IM, etc., still work, but internet access via IE does not".  If e-mail still works, the MiFi still HAS CONNECTIVITY!  The power setting ability you refer to relates to the ability of the device to power down to save the battery when it sees long periods of non-use. Since the device still works for e-mail, it still has connectivity.

As you point out, that can be set to several different time intervals but has nothing to do with connectivity.  By the way, the power down feature only works when on battery (thank goodness) as I have mine powered with the charger and although it is set to power down after 5 minutes of non-use while on batteries, it operates continuously while on the power supply and NEVER shuts down.

Even after sitting all night, it wakes up and resumes the connection when I power up the computer in the morning.

0 Likes