MiFi 2200 - Need help configuring laptop with modem attached or another computer with modem attached
alc

I have a laptop running windows 7 & a desktop running windows xp. 

I have no problems with either PC using the modem while it's physically USB attached.

The little booklet is sufficient at accomplishing that single PC, attached modem scenario.

My goal is to have the MiFi attached to the desktop (most of the time) and the laptop just connecting

wireless without the modem attached.

I've read some of the other posts and see something similar to my problem but not exactly.

I'm hoping to learn/read the specific steps to follow to allow the laptop to connect wireless to the MiFi.

Currently, if I attempt this, the laptop tells me that there is a VZ wireless connection available,

but when I attempt to connect to it, it brings up a window prompting me to Dial #777

This fails and begins a 60 second countdown to retry - no such luck.

So, I assume from the other posts that I need to make changes to the way the laptop is connecting to the modem

since it has already been set up and works if it is USB connected.  I'm hoping for detailed steps on that.

But my next concern is, when I want to travel with my laptop and I unhook the MiFi from the desktop and attach the MiFi to the laptop, will I have to reconfigure the laptop again to connect to the internet?  If so, then again, I'm hoping for those detailed steps.

Ultimately, I'm hoping for a solution that allows me to use my laptop and MiFi whether its attached to the modem or not, without having to make configuration changes.  Is this possible? 

And, when I look at the web or the very brief users guide etc.  I'm lost on what I'm reading.

It would be nice if the guide helped you understand what we are reading and what we are doing.

Specifically...  The reference to WiFi & WWAN.. 

OK.  I got the idea that it supports both WiFi & WWAN.. I don't know what either one means or what they are used for.

Can you tell me what I need or give me examples of 'connection scenarios' or which one I'm to be focused on to accomplish

what I want to do? 

And lastly,

there's a one page insert in the Tips, hints and shortcuts that has MiFi connection information.

It has a few steps that refer to MiFi 2200 Wi-Fi setup instructions:

OK, so what is this and what is it for and when do I need it, and is it necessary for all computers using the modem....

For example:  in step 2 of the Tips, hints..  it says unplug MiFi2200 from the computer and connect using Wi-Fi.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't help me at all.  Very confusing.

Then step 3.  Search for the factory-provisioned SSID and enter password..

Where do i search for this and what does the screen look like.  When do I use this SSID,

is there more information that you can share regarding this step?

Way too brief on the guided instructions and I can't find anything about it on your website.  

I think a lot of people would benefit from a easy to read, easy to follow, layman's terms, detailed installation with screen print examples, configuration and troubleshooting guide for whatever capability & options this modem has to offer.

thanks,

alc

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 2200 - Need help configuring laptop with modem attached or another computer with modem atta
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

The MiFi can be used tethered to one computer using the VZ Access Manager OR disconnected as a WiFi access point. It cannot be used both ways at the same time. So to connect to 2 or more computers (up to 5) it must not be physically connected to any of them. To use it wirelessly, turn it on and wait a few seconds for it to acquire the Verizon cellular data network. Then on your computer launch the built in WiFi network manager (NOT VZ Access). You will "see" the MiFi listed as a wireless network. Connect to it the same way your would for a home wireless network or Starbuck's. The only difference is the first time you will be prompted to enter a passcode. It is on the MiFi's label.

If you continue to have trouble call Verizon's tech support and they will walk you through the process. I've found them very helpful.

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 2200 - Need help configuring laptop with modem attached or another computer with modem atta
aintigreat

Get a wireless router from CradlePoint I got mine from here http://www.3gstore.com/cradlepoint , with a router you will only need to setup the wireless connection once and any user on any computer can connect via wifi or ethernet.   its so easy even a cavemen can do it.

Order from 3gstore > Get the router and turn it on > Connect your verizon card to the rotuer > 15 seconds your connected just connect to the wifi like you would at a coffe shop.

The best part is you can tether your Mifi to the Cradlepoint and then on the cradlepoint you can connect via wireless or ethernet or both.

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

Why on earth would you want to do this? The MiFi already contains a wireless access point. Why would you buy ANOTHER wireless access point to connect it to?

Do you sell the cradlepoint, perhaps?

0 Likes
Opal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Because part of the question presented was that of keeping the MiFi plugged in yet being able to connect another computer wirelessly.

Which can be done with a configuration file change but the OP mentioned not wanting to do that...

0 Likes
skatingonthinic

Exactly, get a USB wireless dongle for the desktop, connect via WIFI and be done with it.  The extra router will only screw your signal up.

0 Likes
skatingonthinic

Also, with the device plugged into the USB plugged in, click options, activation and see if that will help you to stay connected while out of the port.

WIFI is a radio signal broadcast out for a certain distance for other enabled devices to connect to.  WWAN is the device/connection.  The MIFI is two in one, it has to connect to the tower, like when you make a call on your cell vs. landline, on a cell you have to press the send button and send the request to the tower to connect the call, where on a landline the open connection is always there, much like WIFI.

0 Likes
ChampaignTel

I agree. Go to walmart and spend $10-20 and get a wifi adapter for the PC. Then use WIFI for both connections. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying a cradlepoint. Those routers are soon to be a thing of the past unless you are trying to get more than 5 computers connected to a MIFI which is greatly unrecommended.

0 Likes