Re: MiFi 2200 not connecting wirelessly with VISTA
jdstowe

Hi. 

I am experiencing the same problem. My MiFi unit was virtually "plug &  play" connecting to one XP laptop, one Vista Laptop and my iPhone.  However, won't connect to my 32-bit Vista desktop with Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adaptor.  The sysyem "sees" the MiFi but will not connect and provides no useable error message.  The same system has no problem connecting to the WAP from my old home network.

I tried updating the drivers but learned that my drivers are all up to date. 

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Not applicable

One option might be to upgrade the wireless adapter in your desktop to a newer model.  These things are pretty inexpensive.

0 Likes
jdstowe

I've thought of that and I might try it.  However, the linksys website tells me that my card is the latest wireless G card they sell.  I am thinking of trying an "N" card....I know the router is a "G", but I thought this might be my best option to insure I get the most up-to-date drivers.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You could also try a USB adapter.

0 Likes
billdaniels

I agree, the fix is to download the current driver.  In my case, I spent two sessions of about 1 hour each with Verizon technical support, they did not understand the issue or even seem to have very good documentation on the MiFi. 2200.  

I returned one unit because tech support agreed with me it was probably defective, turns out we were both probably wrong.

What I learned was (1) make sure the wireless driver is updated when adding new equipment, (2) google the problem if tech support can't help, (3) don't expect Verizon tech support's knowledge base to be current.

0 Likes
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
The reason Verizon cannot/will not advise you to update the network adapter drivers is that it is a liability issue for them. I am an in-store tech, and I have fixed a few MiFi units with this problem. Verizon tech support is not trained to help customers with anything but the equipment Verizon sells and the software directly associated with it. If they were to advise you to download the new drivers to repair this issue and for some reason your laptop/computer crashed, Verizon would be responsible. Hence, they will not advise you to do so. I have even emailed tech support the steps to resolve this, and they told me that they would not, and that I should not, perform these steps for a customer due to the liability issue.
0 Likes
Athena

I can understand Verizon  not wanting to advise the customer to update/modify anything on their computers, but seriously there has to be a better way for Verizon Support to help out.  I was on the phone with 5 different tech's and went to the store twice.  Not to mention the many hours I spent trying to figure it out on my own. Everyone from Verizon gave me a different answer or had me trying different things on my laptop.   By the end of this fiasco, I felt like I knew more about the MiFi than support did.  I guess if they want to continue to tick customers off then they should keep doing what they are doing.  If I found out that support knew how to fix this issue and didn't tell me because they were afraid of being held liable,  I would be one irate customer.  I'm sure they could record the call and read some disclaimer when it came to troubleshooting situations like this.  Good customer service is hard to find in today's world.

0 Likes
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
It's rarely an issue of knowing how to fix a problem and not saying anything to the customer. For the most part, tech support doesn't recommend this fix because they don't know about it. As I said, they're not trained to know this fix so they wouldn't know about it in the first place, and those that do know about it can get into trouble if they pass it along to the customer. Personally, I will help customers with this fix, but I can't speak for other techs. By the way, in my experience I've found much more reliable solutions to equipment problems by looking online as opposed to contacting tech support. This applies to many different services, not just Verizon.
0 Likes