MiFi 2200
cherb

I would like to recommend to other consumers NOT to get the MiFi 2200 wireless internet.  I have had it now for about 6 months, and have used it in AZ and CO.  No matter where I go...the service is terrible and slower than dial-up service.  It is also very expensive.

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 2200
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

cherb wrote:

I would like to recommend to other consumers NOT to get the MiFi 2200 wireless internet.  I have had it now for about 6 months, and have used it in AZ and CO.  No matter where I go...the service is terrible and slower than dial-up service.  It is also very expensive.

I've had my MiFi 2200 for about five months.

The service has been excellent in most locations, exceeding the performance of DSL coffee shops.

Any place that it connects EVDO, the speed is very good.

At home, I connect 1xRTT, and that connection is unstable, but a Verizon phone doesn't work at all.

I have never seen good signal and bad performance.

--

Clarence

0 Likes
icemanjgs

I have had inconsistent results with my MiFi 2200 as well.  Most of the time it is connected as EVDO, but occasionally the signal reverts 1xRTT, which I assume means that I don't have a very strong EVDO connection.     The connection will go Dormat in the middle of a page load.  Sometimes it will have a good data rate (almost never in the 600kbps range though) for 30 or 40 minutes and then it will slow down or stop transfers completely.  Often times I can power the device off and back on and it will resume a good speed.

I always use WiFi to connect, but am going to load VZaccess and connect through USB just so I can see the RSSI.   

Is there any way to connect an antenna to the device, and if so, would that help?

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

icemanjgs wrote:

I have had inconsistent results with my MiFi 2200 as well.  Most of the time it is connected as EVDO, but occasionally the signal reverts 1xRTT, which I assume means that I don't have a very strong EVDO connection.     The connection will go Dormat in the middle of a page load.  Sometimes it will have a good data rate (almost never in the 600kbps range though) for 30 or 40 minutes and then it will slow down or stop transfers completely.  Often times I can power the device off and back on and it will resume a good speed.

I always use WiFi to connect, but am going to load VZaccess and connect through USB just so I can see the RSSI.   

Is there any way to connect an antenna to the device, and if so, would that help?

I am not sure, but others have said that once a 2200 drops to 1xRTT, it will not look for EVDO again until 1xRTT is lost.

Instead of power cycling, you can go to the home page and click "disconnect" and "reconnect" to fix that.

I have used it for hours in an EVDO area, usually on WiFi.  I don't have AccessManger installed.  I just use the USB Modem directly in Windows 7 if I cable it USB.  Or I leave it on WiFi, and use a charge-only cable to connect it to the PC for charging.

I have never had it go dormant.  I think I have a keepalive in the VPN that I usually have connected.

--

Clarence

0 Likes
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

ClarDold wrote:

I am not sure, but others have said that once a 2200 drops to 1xRTT, it will not look for EVDO again until 1xRTT is lost.

Today, I noticed that I was at 1xRTT when a VoIP call started breaking up during a download.

I didn't want to drop the call, so I paused the download, and continued talking.

After the call, I was going to disconnect/reconnect, but I saw that it had recovered to EVDO on it's own.

There  was no apparent break in service.  I was sitting still, in my car, with the MiFi 2200 on the dashboard.

--

Clarence

0 Likes