MiFi 4510L Doesn't allow connections while charging
fiveninesmike

I had been successful in keeping my 4510L plugged into the charger and using it as a hot spot.

It had been a month since I used it and now, when ever I plug it in to charge and turn it on, i cannot connect to it.

All indicators show it is powered up and ready, but cannot connect.

When I shut it down and power it up without the charger, works like a champ.

Is this a firmware issue?

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4510L Doesn't allow connections while charging
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Mike,

There is a large thread which drills down into the details of this issue if you are interested in learning more:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-Devices/4G-LTE-Mobile-Hotspot-MiFi-4510L-Can-t-Charge-...

To summarize:

1. If your MiFi detects a data connection from the cable while it is charging then it will disable the broadcast. 

- Charging through a USB cable is how most people encounter this situation.  The wall charger will not give you this problem.

2. Press and hold the power button long enough for the device to start

- A Solid yellow LED means the device is in its charge only mode

3. Turn on the MiFi and then connect the charge cable to have the most consistent results

4. If you must charge with a USB cable then the work arounds are as follows:

a. Splice your USB cable to remove the data connection

b. Purchase a dongle/adapter for 10.00 from boxwave.com

If you are seeing the same behavior with the wall charger then your MiFi is most likely defective.

0 Likes
wazilla

Any issues with using the 4510L while charging with a wall charger?

Could not find any info in the threads regarding this.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

There are no issues with using the MiFi and charging from the wall.  If you find one then please let us know.

0 Likes
wazilla

Thank you.  The salesperson advised against doing it but did not give a reason why.

0 Likes
ryder419

I purchased the MiFi 4510 last week. Works fine but the 4510 will not turn on if the wall charger in plugged in. I must either unplug from the wall outlet or unplug the cable from the MiFi 4510 to turn it on.

0 Likes