MiFi 4510L - Packet Errors, Connection Failure, Good "bars"
jikstok

Recently purchased this device & data plan because of limited internet options at home.  Trial period of 15 days worked great, so we decided to keep it.  That period ended 5 days ago and ever since performance has degraded to below dial-up levels.  What we seem to be experiencing is the following:

- Constant 3-4 bars on the display and the webpage.

- Multiple disconnects from Verizon network (not from device).

- Connection seems to vacillate between 1xRTT, EVDO Rev A, EVDO RevAe connections.

- Invalid packet messages in the device log

- Last night any time I wanted to load a new webpage I had to manually go to the device webpage and press the "Connect" button (which sometimes worked/sometimes took multiple attempts).

- This morning the device worked fine, constant connection.

I've read many threads in this forum and have some ideas on things to try (using a repeater, external antenna, firmware upgrade to 2.28) but I haven't found a problem description that stated the bars are there but the connection is not, coupled with the invalid packets.  I don't want to just randomly hack potential solutions without understanding what the problem is.  I am new to this device but trying to learn so I hope readers will be patient with my ignorance and try to explain what is going on.  Attached is a log from last night, an excerpt is below:

System Log> HTML Version 26.

04/11/12 10:12:43pm> HDR/EvDO Connection Failed

04/11/12 10:12:30pm> HDR/EvDO Connection Failed

04/11/12 10:11:03pm> NWPM_EVENT_CALL_END

04/11/12 10:11:03pm> HDR/EvDO Disconnected

04/11/12 10:11:03pm> [RUIAUTO] Invalid packet state

04/11/12 10:10:58pm> CDMA/1xRTT in Dormant State

04/11/12 10:10:39pm> CDMA/1xRTT Out of Dormant State

04/11/12 10:10:35pm> CDMA/1xRTT in Dormant State

04/11/12 10:10:21pm> CDMA/1xRTT Out of Dormant State

04/11/12 10:10:11pm> CDMA/1xRTT in Dormant State

04/11/12 10:09:15pm> NWPM_EVENT_CALL_CONNECTED

Thank you for any ideas.

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4510L - Packet Errors, Connection Failure, Good "bars"
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

What you captured in your log file is a VZW network problem on the device.  It is most likely due to failing hardware on your mifi or the local towers but could also be related to interferance in the area.  I can see that the MiFi defaulted to 1x speeds which is similar to dialup.  While in this state it is fairly common for packets to get lost and disconnected due to the underlying technology of that network.  I'd be willing to bet that when your MiFi connects EVDO/3G that you are experiencing the nice smooth connection that you expect.  3G is where you want to be.

Before you try contacting VZW support try running through a level 2 reset.  I like to use level 2 when there are problems talking to the correct towers or incorrect network mode.  Check your logs before and after to compare and see if the problem goes away.

Level 2 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Remove the SIM card
  5. Allow the MiFi to sit for 30 seconds
  6. Reassemble the MiFi
  7. Test the Connection

You should be able to find some more hints if you lookup "RUIAuto" errors on this forum.  In most cases when these error messages are present the device or SIM card needs to be replaced because it cannot hold a connection to VZW.  Resets are the best thing you can try before you spend money on boosters and antennas. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Have you tried pinging the connection?   Try following instructions below..

On Windows

• Start -> Run -> Type in cmd -> hit enter
  • Type yahoo.com or any website and see if this detects a issue retrieving data from web or pc...
0 Likes
jikstok

Thank you for your quick response!  Yes, when we are solidly connected to EVDO service is great, as was the case this morning.

I will try this reset as soon as I have the chance, but before I do, could you elaborate on what a difference in the logs would tell me.  For example, if the reset fixes the issue, should I expect it to truly be fixed?  Will I likely need to do this on a regular basis?  Or is any difference in the logs merely a data point with which to provide tech support?  This morning the log showed no errors after the device was powered off overnight.  Perhaps the time of day is a factor, but that seems like a pretty crummy answer.  Perhaps, as you stated, interference is the culprit?  Is there a way to detect this?

I really hope this isn't a hardware issue since we've had the device less than 3 weeks (and of course the trial period worked beautifully).  I would expect a much longer time before failure.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Try disabling any firewall to see if the connection isn't restricted from the firewall or add the Mifi ip address to the allow access on your firewall applications.

0 Likes
jikstok

Wildman, I was able to determine early on that my connection to the MiFi itself was not where the breakdown occurred.  I would be surprised if the link between the PC and MiFi could cause disconnection from the VZW network since we were seeing the same symptoms from two machines, each running a different OS.

Since my original post I have updated the firmware to 2.28 and performed the reset.  So far I have not seen any packet errors and, while the service still tends to go between the 1x and the 3G connections, we have not experienced any lasting disconnects or hiccups.  I will monitor for a few days until marking this issue as resolved.  Thank you both for your input.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

That is understandable but I start with basic testing patterns to try to isolate the possible issue..  Johns thought on your issue sounds like a possibility.   Have you contacts CS to verify there isn't any network issue with you?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sounds like another good review for the 2.28 firmware update.  Keep us posted and let us know if anything else comes up.

0 Likes
jikstok

Just an update:

We have had no further problems with the MiFi since resetting and updating the firmware to 2.28.  Things are running smoothly! 

Again I want to thank you both for your time & suggestions.  It's a wonderful thing to have folks out there willing to help complete strangers with technical issues.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Glad you got the issue resolved...  I never thought to suggest update the firmware but it makes sense that it resolved the issue because that usually helps with a router..

Thanks for the update..

0 Likes