MiFi 4510L Problems - unable to browse web but can ping !
_blink_

Have had stationary 4510L for months since my local store rep convinced me to upgrade my perfectly good 2200. Wish I had never done so. First the 4G/3G connect issues kept me from working until the recent firmware patch was finally released. But mixed in with that issue is another one that has gotten progressively worse.  Three replacement devices and two new SIM cards later and I still have the issue.  After three (alleged) trips to the tower reporting no issue, I decided to take the MiFi on the road to see if I have same issues on another tower.  I do.  Anybody else seen these symptoms or have any suggestions?

1) Browsing fine, usually in forced 3G (EVDO) mode due to earlier issue resolved by firmware upgrade.

2) Suddenly web sites stop responding with timeouts, or server unavailable, or web site taking too long to respond messages (depending upon browser in use).

3) WiFi connection is good and I can browse locally to access modem.

4) Modem states to be connected and not dormant, with decent EVDO signal strength.

5) Connection log shows some TCP and UDP traffic.

But cannot browse anywhere.  The only fix is to disconnect and reconnect.  Then it all works fine.  The WiFi connection is never lost. Don't need to reset the modem, just drop the call and then reconnect.

Logged 12 to 15 calls on this and have not gotten satisfactory response yet.  Spent hours and hours collecting data on dates, times, screenshots, etc.  Two very interesting things that I think would be indicative of issue:

1) Even though I can't browse web sites, I can ping them !!

It's as though internet layer protocols are working but transport layer are not.  When I can't browse, I also lose my VPN  connection (if a session was established). Cannot reconnect VPN, says the server does not respond, but I can ping it!

And in the Connection Log, I can see the ICMP traffic from the ping, along with TCP and UDP.  Yet cannot browse to any website.

2) Once this problem occurs, the clock starts to drift from real time.  The time stamps in the Connection Log and in the System Log are a few minutes off, then ten to fifteen minutes off, then withyin a few days they are an hour off.  They occasionally show 1980!!  A hard reset re-synchs the timestamps to the system clock.

*ANYBODY* have these symptoms or any suggestions?  And if you have issue where browsing stops, but WiFi is still wokring, try pinging the website and see if you get a response.  I'd like to hear form you.

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4510L Problems - unable to browse web but can ping !
AHepburn

I've been having the same issue in both 4G and 3G areas - I've actually got a trouble ticket open for it, but I haven't heard a peep from the tech staff since it was opened over a week ago. It gets really frustrating at times!

0 Likes
alternation

I am having just these same problems here in central NC (Durham area).  The device is almost unusable.  It really would be nice to get some help on it from Verizon Wireless or someone who understands what is happening.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for sharing your concerns about this device. I understand not having a reliable data connection can be frustrating. Our product team has been working with the manufacturer on making this device more stable and a software release is expected sometime soon. Some of the things the update includes is improvement in 3G and 4G areas; improved hand-off between 3G and 4G areas; improved VPN stability. I do not have an exact date, but I would suggest checking the support site for the MiFi 4510L often for updates. The new version is version 2.23. 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Marquia,

Could you request for a sticky post to be created at the top of this forum when the software update is available?  Many of us are going to want to install the latest software as soon as possible.  Since we check the forums more often than the support website its much more natural to spread the word through the forums.

Also,  could you tell us if this most recent software update will be forced like the previous update?  The previous software update caused myself and many of our users to have issues in the field.  It would make everyone look better if Verizon allowed the users to download and install the software update on thier own, without disrupting thier work.  That way the users can be prepared and complete the steps when they have time to do so. 

0 Likes
ipodjockey

How are you going to repay your customers for all of their lost time?

0 Likes
where

I have the *exact* same problem.  Been happening for months and nobody at Verizon has a clue.  I am going insane!!!  My problem is especially worse when I have more than one WiFi client connected.  "Stop browsing" means unable to browse the internet.  I can still browse on the local MiFi private network fine.  Just can't browse thru the Verizon network!

One laptop will stop browsing (but can still ping!!) while the others are working just fine.  Dropping the wireless and reconnecting doesn't fix it.  Rebooting the laptop doesn't fix it. 

One client can browse but the other can't (but both can ping) and there is nooooo way to fix it but disconnect the call and then reconnect.  FRUS.STRAT.TING !!!!! 

Happening now five or six times per day. We may have two to four laptops connected at any given time. Mostly we just do w/o internet on the clients when they stop browsing.  The other laptops will continue to browse for quite some time.  Eventually, when the working systems have an opportunity, we have to drop the MiFi call and reconnect to restore internet to everybody.

THIS IS KILLING ME.

I cancelled my voice service this week and transferred to ATT.  T-mobile has a $40/month 5GB plan that does not charge for overages.  I'm considering switching to that.  Verizon, how many customers will you lose before you get your act together?

MiFi 4510L - replaced twice, latest one is three weeks old

Modem Firmware - 2.16.07 (the latest),

Using EvDO with better than -80 signal strength

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello John_Getzke,

I really like that idea about the sticky note! It would be very useful on the forums for such a case like this. Another way to stay in the know on our latest products and services would be to sign up for notification using the link below. 

https://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/formlink/f?NFOQU&SOURCEID=WEB_DGF_VZW_SUPPORTNAV

As far as the software update for the mifi 4510L, it is officially available as of 11/1 on our website. Here's the link to the download.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/system_update/mifi4510l.html

Although the website says Coming Soon, the actual software update is available in a link under Software Update Instructions (*PDF). As always, we are here to assist you in any way we can.

Thank you...

0 Likes
jlthorpe

I'm also having the same issue in the RDU area. My 2200 worked fine. I'm about to throw this 4510 under my truck tires and run it over.  I even applied the newest firmware today. Guess what? No fix.

0 Likes
jlthorpe

2.23 did NOT fix this issue.

0 Likes