Re: MiFi 4510L Problems - unable to browse web but can ping !
doublel85

May be a day or to before i can devote more time to this. Busy right now.

On Tuesday, February 14, 2012, John Getzke <community@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

You might want to try a Verizon 4G LTE direct connect amplifier! This supports 4G LTE only, so no boost for 3G.

If you are in a 4G area, but the signal is weak, you can certainly benefit from the 4G LTE Amplifier

Cellphone-Mate CM700V Direct Connect 4G Amplifier

Read more about Cellphone-Mate CM700V 4G LTE Amplifier

0 Likes
jjselle

For those who use the 4510L for their home internet:

I initially had the same problems and set up my home wireless router as a repeater using custom router firmware found at www.dd-wrt.com.  The documentation to configure the router as a repeater is also found there in tutorial form.  I am experiencing no issue whatsoever surfing, streaming, or otherwise on multiple devices.

The way this works is that your wireless router acts as a client to the MiFi & then your PCs & other devices connect to the wireless router rather than the MiFi. I currently have an internet radio, Xbox 360, a phone & two PCs connected and the MiFi only shows one connected client (wireless router).  Basically the settings of the wireless router just mirror those of the wifi network created by the MiFi.  You must use the dd-wrt firmware on the wireless router for this to work.

I wish I had an explanation of why this works, but I'm guessing the integrity and QoS of the custom wireless router firmware handles packets & protocols much more efficiently than the 4510L.  Perhaps, the wireless router plays more nicely with Win7 as well.

And by the way, you can use the LTE & 802.11n with this configuration!

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
reeper

Same problems as the rest. Here is the review I just left for the device. Hopefully they can get the issues worked out.

I picked this device up early after and was initially quite pleased. Although not in a 4G area it seemed to work just as good as the MiFi 2200 device I had with 3G. With all the traveling I do for work I was anxious to try it in a 4G area. Unfortunately it’s not to be. I took the device home after work later that day and the device failed to get a connection. I could see all my devices connected to the device just fine, same devices that worked earlier, but the device would not connect to the internet like it had done previously. I spent about an hour on the phone with support – which I must say was great. The gentleman I spoke with was patient understanding and was there to genuinely to try and make me happy. Still with the superb support we unfortunately never got the device to work.

I’m a Director of Information Technology and had hopes to upgrade 18 MiFi 2200 devices to this device. But at this time I think I’ll wait until Verizon can work the bugs out of this device or wait for a newer generation of MiFi device. It’ll be hard to beat those 2200 series devices – they have been extremely dependable for the guys out in the field.

0 Likes
doublel85

Well I feel like an idiot. I just found what my problem was. I only researched further when I realized that there were more networks than just my Mifi that I couldn't connect to. I checked the settings for my wireless connection under TCP/IP and found that I didn't have the Obtain Domain Address Automatically checked. I have no idea how it got that way but checked it and walla.. it works now. Thanks for the help guys

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Glad to hear you found the root of your problem Double.  The TCP/IP issue you mentioned here is a rare one to encounter.  Aren't connection problems fun?

0 Likes
makinithappen

I too am having issues with browsing.  I show "connected" but with "no internet access."  I have tried all the reboots and restarts and nothing is working.  I just got the 4510L on Saturday and wondering if I need to go ahead and take it back.  My mifi 2200 was working just fine and alot faster.  I have had to log onto the campgrounds internet service just to post this and try to find a fix.  Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Kim

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Makin,

You are probally connected to the local MiFi router only.  The MiFi modem sounds like it has not completed its connection to the towers.  Normally the various resets will correct a problem like this. Powering down, resetting the SIM card/battery, restoring the defaults etc.

Try to confirm something for us.  Sign into your http://mifi.admin console and look at the status of the network connection along the top.  It should tell you if you are connected 1x, 3G, LTE or disconnected.  If you are disconnected there should be a connect button for you to push and try to access the VZW network.  Let us know what kind of network the MiFi is connected to or trying to connect to.

0 Likes
makinithappen

Thank you for your input. I had to do the software update manually and so far so good. I am connected and have had no down-time since I did the update. I had went to the admin to check for update and it didn't find any. So reading thru the forum post I seen there was an update to v2.28 so I manually did the update. Thank you for all your help and advice. I wouldn't have found the solution had it not been for all the post on this issue. Again thanks.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I also have not had good luck getting the 2.28 firmware update to go automatically.  This one was supposed to be automatic and over the air without the need for a USB cable, but I ended up doing all that anyways. 

Its good to hear the firmware update has improved your condition.  My guess is that you are in one of the 3G/4G coverage areas, or you are on the frindge of 4G territory.  Every firmware update that has been released so far has been to mainly address the issues that exist when both 3G and 4G are present.  Since I am in a 3G only area the firmware updates have not had an impact on my performance so far, which has been acceptable for 3G.

0 Likes