Re: MiFi 4510L Problems with 4G connect after a 3G connect
98Ultrasport

Hi Andrew,

It's odd to me that some people seem to have the dormant issue and others don't .  I really wish Verizon (or someone else) would do a test and try to figure this out.  I have NEVER seen that issue and as I said, I have used mine all over the country.  I am scared to do the update given the still unexplained issues.

The ONLY issue I have seen with mine is the issue of the unit not changine back and forth between 4G and 3G but even that seems to be unreliable after the update with some users.  That's why I have not upgraded yet.

Steve

0 Likes
akwebb1

@Steve,  The update did really help my 4G connection problems and did not make the Dormant issue worse.  That was always a problem.  I will have the device at least for a little while as I investigate my other options and when I have some time maybe I will run some more organized testing with some other devices and maybe run a traffic sniffer to see if anything looks strange.  I have captured a bunch of system logs from the Mifi that show the issue happening.  I just need to sort through them to see if there are any obvious patterns.  Unfortunately a quick glance at the logs seem to indicate that there is not much diagnostic information in them but you never now once I get a chance to take a closer look.

0 Likes
slary

i know this may sound silly but i just got a mifi and am glad i looked into this problem because i haven't been able to connect to 4g in quit a few days and had no idea why. i was about to do a complete reset with the ip address for mifi but found this. now i have no idea how to switch it back to LTE mode because now i see in diagnostics there is no LTE signal. i am in no way technologically savvy so am lucky to get this far. can someone tell me how to switch it back???

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

To enable 4G only:

1. Connect to the MiFi

2. Navigate to http://mifi.admin

3. Click the WWAN tab

4. Click the More link

5. Select "LTE Only" from the WWAN Preffered Mode drop down box

6. Click the Apply button

Note that LTE only will force your MiFi to connect to 4G networks only.  This setting will not allow the device to fall back to a 3G connection if one is in range.  If you want the MiFi to be able to connect to both 3G and 4G then you must set the device to the Global setting.

0 Likes
ipodjockey

I am experiencing problems with the MIFI devices losing the Internet connection while the device itself displays full signal bars.

This is happening on devices that have already recieved the newest firmware update. We run a service business and these connection issues are costing us money. Why would this product be released with so many problems?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

ipodjockey wrote:

Why would this product be released with so many problems?

I don't think you will ever get a straight answer to a question like that.  We can only see (and care about) things from the consumer point of view.  For all we know, these devices may be working exactly the way Verizon intended them to with the current problems being acceptable in the name of progress.

What we can do is work with the technology and troubleshooting skills that have been given to us.  We have discovered many tricks and tips to help configure around the fixable problems with this device.  If you are willing to dig into the problems you are having you might find the solution you were looking for.

In general here are some suggestions to improve your connection:

1. Lower your MiFi to B/G down from B/G/N

2. Lower your MiFi to 3G only connections

3. Reset your MiFi to the defaults

4. Reseat your SIM card

5. Attach a external Antenna

6. Purchase a car booster kit from Wilson Electronics

7. Power down your MiFi when not in use

8. Store your MiFi in an area where it is not exposed to extreme heat or cold

9. Try different locations and look for consistencies or gaps in service

10. Replace the MiFi under warranty

0 Likes
ipodjockey

"For all we know, these devices may be working exactly the way Verizon intended them to with the current problems being acceptable in the name of progress."

I appreciate your helpful response. Frankly I feel cheated and I'm tired of fighting this stuff. I'll try a few of the steps you mentioned. I just get angry when I think about how our salesman mislead us when these devices have such major flaws.

0 Likes
ipodjockey

Just an update: I tried steps 1,2 & 3. These were the only changes that seemed practical to me for our business. They do not appear to have worked.

It does not happen when I am riding in the field with a technician because I have my computer with me and I'm constantly using the connection all day. But when the tech's are by themselves two or three hours can go by without them touching it. The strange thing is I have my software setup to ping the mobile computer every minute so I would think that the mifi would stay active.

The problem with turning it off is that we are setup to print wirelessly and waiting for the mifi to boot up and the printer to connect and the computer to connect = wasted time = lost money.

0 Likes
where

John_Getzke wrote:

In general here are some suggestions to improve your connection:

1. Lower your MiFi to B/G down from B/G/N

2. Lower your MiFi to 3G only connections

3. Reset your MiFi to the defaults

4. Reseat your SIM card

5. Attach a external Antenna

6. Purchase a car booster kit from Wilson Electronics

7. Power down your MiFi when not in use

8. Store your MiFi in an area where it is not exposed to extreme heat or cold

9. Try different locations and look for consistencies or gaps in service

10. Replace the MiFi under warranty

Great suggestions.  I have also learned thru much trial and error #s 1,2,3,4,7,9,10.  Had mine replaced three times.  Latest one is only a few weeks old.  Still isn't reliable even in EvDO...

I JUST WISH IT WOULD WORK !!! 

Anybody have info on #5?    How can I attach an external antena and where can I get one?

Mama wants a new toy!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

I currently use the following external antenna with my MiFi 4510L:

https://www.sierrawireless.com/wheretobuy/onlinestore/default.aspx?SCID=6&ShowAccessories=yes&SKU=60...

There are many other options that would be compatible with this device too.  For example, if you want to spend less and get an unpowered antenna like the one I linked above.  In my experience the unpowered antennas are calibrated to work on CDMA or LTE only, but never both.  A unpowered antenna will plug directly into your MiFi Antenna port.  These are smaller, lightweight and a good mobile solution. 

If you want to spend more you could buy a powered antenna and booster kit such as the models offered at www.WilsonElectronics.com.  The powered anteannas normally do not connect to your MiFi's antenna port.  Instead they commonly come with a wireless cradle which is compatible with not only your MiFi but any other wireless device.  If you know you are going to be stationary when you connect your devices then the booster kits and powered antennas would work well for you.

0 Likes