MiFi 4510L and Airport extreme
kenaid

I am in the 14 day trial period.  I have 2 choices for broadband, cellular or satellite.  After 8 years of satellite frustration, I am on day with MiFi.  The speed is much better, even with G3.

Is there any way to use my airport extreme as the hub and wirelessly connect MiFi as another device.  As it stands now I have to switch between MiFi and Airport, to browse the internet  or to use my printer.  

If I should have purchased a USB modem I could plug into the Airport?  If so what's a good one?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MiFi 4510L and Airport extreme
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

"I would like the MIFi modem to wirelessly connect to airport the way yet a third printer does"

MiFi's and home routers such as the AirPort do not have the ability to connect to each other wirelessly.  Cascading requires a Ethernet Cable connection in order to bypass all of the wireless security protocols.  In order to create a wireless connection a device must have a interface which allows the user to enter the wireless password and SSID.  The MiFi does not have a interface to wirelessly connect to another router/hotspot/network, I presume the AirPort does not either.  You will not be able to setup your network the way you want.

"would plugging in a USB modem into the hub or directly into airport device work?"

No.  Again a device must have an interface which allows it to send credentials back to the service provider.  Much like how you must sign into a VZW account before using a USB Modem on your laptop, a router must be able to complete the same steps.  The only exception to this would be a wireless cradle which is specifically designed to be compatible with a USB modem.  I am not familiar with AirPort routers but I assume the USB ports on the back of your AirPort are intended for File Sharing and not for USB Modems.

Wireless Cradle:

http://cradlepoint.com/products/wireless-n-portable-router-ctr35

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

What you need to do is research a router feature called "Cascading".  When you cascade two routers togeather you can leverage one routers connection to the internet and pass it through the second.  Unless you properly setup a cascading router enviornment the routers wont know who is in charge and your traffic will not route properly.

The MiFi is a modem and router in one.  With the proper configuration you should be able to leverage both devices on the same network.  Just remember that the MiFi can connect up to 5 devices at once.  If you sit close to all of your wireless devices there should be no need to use AirPort in your home and the MiFi too.

I am not aware of any USB modems which are directly compatible with the AirPort router.  I assume you would not be able to plug in a USB modem directly into the AirPort and connect to the internet.  Most USB modems that I know of are designed to be plugged into a wireless cradle as opposed to a regular router.

0 Likes
kenaid

Thank you for your response.

To clarify, my Airport extreme device has 1 USB port and 4 ethernet ports.   A printer and the satellite modem are  connected via ethernet, I  have a USB hub with another printer, 2 USB memory sticks, and a backup hardrive, connected to the USB slot on the airport device, making all my connections completely wireless.

You may have answered my question and I just don't understand, but I would like the MIFi modem to wirelessly connect to airport the way yet a third printer does.  If that is not possible, would plugging in a USB modem into the hub or directly into airport device work? 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

"I would like the MIFi modem to wirelessly connect to airport the way yet a third printer does"

MiFi's and home routers such as the AirPort do not have the ability to connect to each other wirelessly.  Cascading requires a Ethernet Cable connection in order to bypass all of the wireless security protocols.  In order to create a wireless connection a device must have a interface which allows the user to enter the wireless password and SSID.  The MiFi does not have a interface to wirelessly connect to another router/hotspot/network, I presume the AirPort does not either.  You will not be able to setup your network the way you want.

"would plugging in a USB modem into the hub or directly into airport device work?"

No.  Again a device must have an interface which allows it to send credentials back to the service provider.  Much like how you must sign into a VZW account before using a USB Modem on your laptop, a router must be able to complete the same steps.  The only exception to this would be a wireless cradle which is specifically designed to be compatible with a USB modem.  I am not familiar with AirPort routers but I assume the USB ports on the back of your AirPort are intended for File Sharing and not for USB Modems.

Wireless Cradle:

http://cradlepoint.com/products/wireless-n-portable-router-ctr35

0 Likes
kenaid

Unfortunately it appears there is no solution.

Today it is raining, and the MiFi is not so stable. Fast, stable broadband for those of us without access to DSL or cable remains elusive.

Thank you for you help.

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Kenaid,

I know it is important to have a stable connection.  If you are still encountering opportunities with your mifi please PM me with your name and mobile number so I may further assist you.  Thank you.  

0 Likes
Frog265

I just read your questions and the comments and am somewhat confused.  I am not, by any means, a whiz on the computer.  

I have an Apple I Mac that has Airport also.  I have the 5 Spot with 3G.  Everthing does work - EXCEPT everytime I turn the computer off or even put it to sleep, when I sign back in to Safari I have to go through the internet diagnostics to connect with the five spot - which I really don't even mind....BUT I also have to enter the very long number password that is printed on the back of

the five spot every time.  Is their anyway to change this long number password to a regular word password.  I have tried everything I know - which I admit may not be much.  I even went to Best Buy and they gave me information on Five Spot WIFI Connection issues but it didn't help.  Can you. 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Frog265 wrote:

Is their anyway to change this long number password to a regular word password 

Frog,

To change your Wireless Password you can use the following steps:

1. Power on the MiFi

2. Establish a wireless connection by typing in the old password

3. Navigate to http://mifi.admin

4. Enter "admin" in the textbox in the upper right hand corner

5. Click the Login button

6. Click the WiFi tab

7. Change your Network Key from the default password to a new password

a. Depending on the security level there will be minimum requirements for password strength

8. Click Apply

Im not a Mac guy but there should be a way for you to configure the Mac to automatically remember the new Wireless Password once it is configured.  That way you wont have to manually type in the password everytime you want to browse to the internet.

0 Likes