MiFi 4510L has strong EVDO / 3G signal but cannot connect.
tflynn1313

I just got the MiFi 4510L.  I don't get a 4G signal at my home but I do get a strong 3G signal (EVDO).  However, the best the MiFi can do is connect at 2G speeds (100kbs  1xrtt) very slow.   My wife has the Verizon iPhone 4 and her data speeds on 3G are vey good (1.4Mbs) yet the MiFi 4510L can't even connect to the 3G network.  What can be the problem?  I beleive both devices are connecting to the same network, right??

Tried Verizon customer support but other than the ususal "turn it off / turn it on" exercise, they were not helpful.

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4510L has strong EVDO / 3G signal but cannot connect.
ttb_62
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a external antenna still don't get very good signal strength. But if you go to modem admin page look at the modem status. Under advanced >> diagnostics click the modem status. Look at

Signal - EVDO:-90 dBm
Signal - 1X:-99 dBm

below the lower the better. above 100 not so good. I'm 8 miles from a tower. It changes during the but I get 750 Kbps with online speed test. any where from 65 to 99 kbs during file download. the external antenna may help.

0 Likes
tflynn1313

Thanks. I have a strong signal at -69. I'm only 2 miles from the tower. It's not the signal for me. Something else is wrong. Any other ideas?

Regards

Tim

0 Likes
ttb_62
Enthusiast - Level 2

you checked the wireless LAN correct. connection from pc to device, windows firewall. On the WWAN tab at the bottom there is a link "more". under it you can choose to connect at what protocol you want. 2 miles you should be 4g. The lite on the modem should be pink. What is the wifi tab say 802.11. what channel auto? Hard to ring out from here it may be a bad modem. another dumb question whats the weather like. How are you getting the 100 kbs quot. internet speed test on the desktop system tray? if your wireless card on the pc is not transferring right, it will appear to be the internet. Is your browser using a proxy from the old ISP.

Sorry hard to help from here.

0 Likes
grizzy

I'm having the same problem.  When I'm in a 4g area my speeds are great.  However, we have a home that's in a 3g only area and the speeds are in the range of .2 - .3 mb/s.  My signal strength is VERY strong, and historacally (within the past two years) my speeds in this same area, on Verizon 3g service, have been over 2.0 Mb/s.  I've made repeated cals to Verizon about the problem.  While they've been nice, and have replaced my MyFi device and Simm card,  nothing has helped.  This is very frustrating, and virtually unuseable.  I've finally suspended my service in hopes that they can make improvement in the next 90 days -- I'm not very hopefull!

0 Likes