Re: Novatel MiFi 4510L - Powers down, needs reboot
Not applicable

Lessardrp, thanks for sharing your concerns about this device. There was a software update just released 9/6 that addresses several issues with the device. Have you completed this update? Please try this on each of the devices and let us know if it resolves your concerns. 

0 Likes
lessardrp

Thanks for the reply.

This issue is not firmware related. It occurred before and after the update on multiple devices.

It is not related to the configuration of the device because it occurs with the default setup and about 12-15 different variations I have tried. I have even configured the device with so much specificity, in one case, that the MIFI literally had no decisions to make (ie specific connection technology, frequency channel). I have tried with and without 4g enabled, EVDO only, EVDO and RTT only, all the variations of 802.11 etc. That was just to prove it wasn't related to some kind of transitional instability.

It is not power related. I have had the device powered off a charge only cable and multiple Novatel wall chargers. The power save feature are disabled on the MIFI AND the computers. This includes the not so obvious power save features on the laptops such as at the WIFI card and USB hub levels. All desktop related power features such as sleep mode and screen savers are disabled.

It is not computer related. I have experienced the same behavior on multiple laptops, with XP or 7 installed, different branded computers, with different base images installed.

It is not interferance related because I have tried the devices in remote areas, that have coverage, but are not in the vicinity of any other emf hardware or inductive loads.

It is not Verizon coverage related because it happens in areas of known rock solid coverage.

It is not heat related because the devices never got hot when it happened.

The interval of occurance is nearly impossible to predict. I have seen these devices work for two days non stop. Then the next day, it turned itself off 4-5 times. It has done it after 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours etc.

It is not activity related because I intentionally tried to proved this by running a "keep alive" batch to simulate activity even when not personally active. It tried the keep alive pings or web page downloads starting at 1 hour intervals, then 45 minutes, then 30 minutes, 20 minutes, all the way down to every 12 SECONDS. It still happened.

Please escalate this issue- it is device related.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Likes
lessardrp

I give up and am going to another vendor for my device. In the last month I have wasted 100 man hours of my precious time at work chasing problems with this device. I have posted here everything I have tried which all but proves that there is a device issue with this model and all I hear on this thread are crickets and tumbleweeds. Meanwhile, we can't get our job done. How in the world could a company come out with a product for full production when it would have taken me 48 hours to demonstrate that it isn't ready, Your QA people should all be fired.

0 Likes
mrstupervisor

Having the exact same issue to the TEE with the 4510 random shutdown (amber/yellow light flashing). I've had to reset the device as much as 5 to 6 times per day. Powered by AC connection with power setting to "Never" ( I know that should not matter anyway). Firmware and software updates are all installed and up to date.

Statement to Verizon.....You need to deal with this issue ASAP !!!!!  Thanks

0 Likes
kingkabong

I'm getting pretty frustrated with mine.  It worked great for a couple weeks, now is having trouble timing out every night.  Web pages partially load, I constantly get the "reload this page later" page.  Really frustrating.  I got this device because DSL was not an option.  Seemed to work better before the update... any way to roll back?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your feedback and explaining what you have done to test this issue. This issue has been escalated to our product team and the manufacturer. We are still investigating the issue and looking for a resolution.

0 Likes
RacineWI

Well Marquia.. here is is a full month after your post and I have been dealing with this EXACT issue for a month now (random powering off, anytime between 5 min to 2 hours). and like the original poster, have countless hours invested in trying to resolve this, not to mention having my office staff close to walking out on me. Vzw tells me it is not a known issue..? I purchased a new mifi, had this issue, they sent a replacement refurb unit (minus the battery and charger), still the same issue. Sent a replacement battery and charger, still the same problem. I'm on a fringe service area; so they sent an antenna, forgot to send an adapter, finally sent the adapter. By then, they strung me out through my 15 day trail period. Then they sent a piece of garbage Samsung SCH-LC11,, I couldn't even get 1 bar of signal where the navatel always had 2 bars without the aux antenna (when it would stay on that is) can't use my external antenna with the Samsung... junk. We did find that the connection would work great all day if we had a streaming radio station playing on one of the computers. So please pass that on to your speedy elite tech team. The issue must have something to do with entering or leaving a dormant state. To bad the device's event log gets cleared when it loses power. Novatel, how much could a couple kilobytes of nvram cost?

Ps after 15 calls to tech support, if I hear one more time that my other line is ready for an upgrade, I will close my account and strongly urge the rest of my family to follow.

0 Likes
RacineWI

Re-reading the previous posts, I noticed someone else unsuccessfully tried a keep alive program. The radio station that keeps my device working is WDRV.com there is a listen live link there. it uses 1mb every 1min 45 sec.  Maybe vzw will increase our data allowance since it is needed to use their device.

0 Likes