MiFi 4620L & Accessing Verizon Wireless Hot Spots?
Tom_MAC

I have recently upgraded from a USB 720 modem to a MiFi 4620L.

On my USB 720 I used Verizon Access Manager (VAM) and the VAM downloaded a large list of Verizon Wireless Access Points (Hot Spots).  I was able to view their location list and  to use these occasionally in my travels and thus not have to use my account data bytes..

Now with my new MiFi 4620L have I lost access to these hot spots?

If not, how do I locate them and use them?

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4620L & Accessing Verizon Wireless Hot Spots?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I've never tried playing with the VZ WiFi hotspots.  This feature is something that is not intended to be compatible with MiFi's so if you can get it to work it would have to be from the VZAM software alone.

VZW Wi-Fi Access:

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/us/about/network/remoteaccesspoints/hotspots/

More info:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=wifiaccess

I would try to download VZAM to your computer and try to access hotspots through it without connecting to the MiFi.  I'd suppose that if your account has access to the VZW hotspots then it should work.  If not then try contacting VZW directly for more help in this area. 

0 Likes
DRH7654
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got the newest version of the Jetpack.  I'm in the boondocks of Colorado with an external antenna, get five bars -60dBm and it took five minutes to load this page. I'm in a 3G area.

I'm getting throttled.

For two years I got perfect fast performance with a USB760 and external antenna.  Then two years to the date my speeds went to dial-up.

Now I'm getting one good week, one SLOW week.

Frustration. I have a 5GB program and have never used 5GB.  Last month I used 3.8 GB.

This is just unacceptable.  I never know when it is going to work correctly.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Not exactly related to this thread.  Perhaps you intended to respond to a different one?

You should be able to improve slow performance problems with the MiFi's.  I'd suggest trying out the various resets that are available to help your MiFi re-negotiate its connection to the local towers.  I'll post the resets for the 4510L, they are not the same but are very similar to the 4620L.  Let us know if you need more help.

Level 1 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Let the MiFi sit for 30 seconds
  3. Power on the MiFi
  4. Test the connection

Level 2 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Remove the SIM card
  5. Allow the MiFi to sit for 30 seconds
  6. Reassemble the MiFi
  7. Test the Connection

Level 3 Reset

1. Power on the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Press and hold the Reset button next to the battery for 10 seconds
    a. Paper clip seems to work best for pressing the reset button
    b. Watch the MiFi E-Ink display to see if all the icons are displayed
  4. Release the Reset button
  5. Reassemble the MiFi
  6. Test your connection
0 Likes
DRH7654
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, thanks, but that didn't work because I'm being throttled.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

4G LTE devices do not get throttled.  Did Verizon contact you and say that you were? 

0 Likes
DRH7654
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't believe anything Verizon says.  Had a family member who worked for Verizon and he was asked on a daily basis to say stuff like "Verizon doesn't throttle 4G LTE devices."  He quit his job. He got tired of lying.

I use 4G one percent of the time. 99 percent of the time I'm on 3G. Even the 4G was not blazing fast as they claim.

Anyway like I said.  It works great for five days and doesn't work for five days.  Miracle today.  It's working.  Geez, just so happened I complained three days ago.

0 Likes
Tom_MAC

Thanks for the links, John.

I checked and found that the 4620L is NOT a Hot Spot capable device, even though some of the previous mifi units were.

So I decided to return it and am waiting for a new Pantech 4G USM modem, UML290.

I hear about some problems with this too, but think it is the best move.  Besides with the 4620L I had some sites that it would not connect to and Verizon seems to have done little to correct that.

Just hope the UML290 doesn't have the same problems, but at lease I will regain the Hot Spot wifi access.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Good call Tom.

If the hotspot feature is a deal breaker than the USB modems are the way to go.  I have not noticed any complaints on the forums about USM modems and specific websites.  I believe that limitation is specifically for the 4620L at this time.

0 Likes