MiFi Data Usage
jor

I found a past discussion on this but am starting another thread in hopes that there is new information.

My wife and I use our MiFi (4gLTE) in our RV. We bought the original MiFi when it first came out and were quite happy with it. We now have a newer model and can't believe the data usage. We are exceeding out five gigs way before our allotted month. Our usage is low level (email, web browsing). I've eliminated emails with large attachments and we are not downloading large files or viewing videos. Can't figure out how we are consuming so much data. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks.

jor

0 Likes
Re: MiFi Data Usage
Not applicable

Do you have it password protected so other nearby computers are not logging on?  Have you turned off all automatic updates on your computers?

0 Likes
jor

Yea, Jim, we're secure. I am convinced that something has changed. We never had this problem with our old MiFi and our computer use is pretty much the same. The sad thing is we used to have unlimited data but I got ticked at Verizon, shitcanned the service and paid a big penalty for earlier termination. Now, predictably humbled, I'm back and now can't seem to stay under the damn limit. Have a great Sunday.

jor

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Jor,

While it is not possible to lookup the actual websites and services you are consuming on your MiFi, you can request a Data report from Verizon.  This report will contain timestamps for various sessions and the data that was consumed in each.  As you back track and cross reference from your calendar you may be able to determine if there is a data leak.  Look for peaks and valleys in the report first, isolating the biggest sessions from the rest.

You might have a chatty website or background service running on your machines which is eating up your plan without your knowledge.  If that is the case then you may want to update/run your virus scans or even reload your machines to eliminate the drain.

You can also check your data as you go.  I'd check in regularly through the month until the problem is identified.

Check your Data Plan over the phone:

1. Dial 1(800) 922-0204

2. Enter the Phone number of the MiFi when prompted

3. Navigate to Balance (option 2)

4. Navigate to Usage (option 2)

5. Enter the billing zip code

6. Navigate to Data Usage (option 3)

7. Listen and record the Data Usage results

8. Hang up

Note: The Text message option at the end of the recording does not apply. Verizon will send the text to the MiFi device and there is no way to retrieve it.

Note: To estimate your monthly usage ahead of time:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/splash_includes/datacalculator.html

0 Likes
jor

Thanks, John. I think I need to review the Data Report. How do I go about getting one? We have been reviewing our usage as we go and that is what got me alarmed in the first place. I sent Verizon an email asking if the MiFi consumed data while on with no devices connected but never got a response. Thanks.

jor

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

In the past I have contacted VZW through the 1800 number and worked with the 1st level rep.  The rep cannot generate or view the report on thier own but they can send a request to the next level and email it to you.  In my experience I was able to recieve the report within an hour or two.  The report covers the entire billing period.

0 Likes
jor

Thanks. I'm on it!

jor

0 Likes
tinsun

I am having the same problem!!! Wish I would have kept my 3G model. I have turned my mifi off only to get up in the night (when my mac is also turned off) to find it running... (flashing pink or green). I called and was told I must be watching movies or TV shows... NOT! Can't figure it out.... but in less than 1 week I have used over 1.6G .... and I am way over my 5G. Verizon's suggestion..... update to 10G.... but at the rate I am going I will easily surpass that amount within a billing cycle. HELP!!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thats a little creepy.  MiFi's should not be powering themselves up without assistance.  It might be defective and I have read threads where VZW did replace the MiFi to stop the problem.  The MiFi may not be properly shutting itself down either.

One thing you could do is unplug from the wall and remove the battery when you know the MiFi is not needed.  Without a power supply there is no way the MiFi can be connecting and consuming your data plan.

I would also suggest requesting the data report from VZW to see if your MiFi is consuming data while you sleep.  Check the timestamps of your largest sessions to see if there are any other trends.  Be forwarned that VZW does not track or care what applications or computers are consuming the data, they only know how much and at what time.

0 Likes
tinsun

Thanks! When I get home I will call and see if I can get that done. They did send me a replacement last Wednesday. The Verizon help tech said he was going to call me on Wednesday.... so far hasn't happened. But I do think I will start pulling the battery....

Thanks again!

0 Likes