MiFi contract
Dr_Fill
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm considering purchasing a MiFi 2200. If I purchase one on a 2 yr contract do I have the ability to suspend and resume service at will? I would expect that if I could my contract would be extended the appropriate length of time.

Also, if I buy a mifi outright and activate with no contract will I be able to activate and suspend service at will?

As an example I volunteer at national parks for 3 months at a time and some are remote enough to have no Verizon signal. I'd want to suspend service while I was there.

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MiFi contract
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

podstolom wrote:

Yeah, new plans for MiFi, 5 Gig is $10/mo cheaper now, so you betta grab it and save yourself $10. There's a 3 Gig for $35 too for MiFi's but that's supposed to last onl 90 days from what I've read.

Once my contract is up I'm going unlimited for $40/month. Unless Verizon sees the light. The 3 dozen MiFis in my company will be going the same was as their terms expire.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

If you are on contract, you can suspend service, but only for a limited time like 30 days, and for specific reasons, like lost or stolen phone or something, but there but there may also be limits on how many times you can do this over the life of the contract. If you are off contract or month-to-month on full purchace price, you can suspend service for pretty much any reson at any time, but you may be charged an activation fee to resume service. I'm not clear on all of these details, so you would have to verify with Verizon.

0 Likes
Dr_Fill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you dimap:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

There are other carriers who offer the MiFi with no contract and the ability to turn service on and off at will. 

0 Likes
Dr_Fill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply PDCLarry.

Since I'm a full time RVer I need maximum area coverage. Does anyone meet or beat Verizon coverage?

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

As I'm sure you know Verizon has the best coverage in the US. Virgin Mobile offers a MiFi for $40 a month, unlimited (compared to Verizon's 5 GB limit for $60/month) on Sprint's 3G network. So if Sprint has coverage where you travel it might be a better option. If Sprint doesn't then the decision is easy :smileywink:

0 Likes
Dr_Fill
Enthusiast - Level 2

That unlimited data sounds great.. I keep checking Verizon's estimated usage calculator and thinking that I can stay comfortably under 5GB. I don't often stream video or audio.

I've seen lots or references to $60 for 5GB. The plan info here on the vz site is saying $50.00 for 5GB. Is that new or am I missing something?

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

I'm paying $60 (59.95 + 8 cents tax - $60.07). thee may be a new promotion.

0 Likes
podstolom
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, new plans for MiFi, 5 Gig is $10/mo cheaper now, so you betta grab it and save yourself $10. There's a 3 Gig for $35 too for MiFi's but that's supposed to last onl 90 days from what I've read.

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

podstolom wrote:

Once my contract is up I'm going unlimited for $40/month. Unless Verizon sees the light. The 3 dozen MiFis in my company will be going the same was as their terms expire.

0 Likes