Re: MiFi2200 Constant disconnects when using wifi
NaughtyGarfield

Hi guys! I am also having the same issues like the rest of you guys here. The manually assigning IP address sounds good. but has anyone tried the new firmware v159? I wonder if that solves the problem with the connect and disconnect issues. I haven't update mine yet.. but I like to see if anyone have updated and can provide some feedback on the issue we have at hand. Thanks.

0 Likes
mas90guru

I have the same issue with significant connects, reconnects, and the MiFi goes into a dormant state. 

I've searched various places online and the Verizon forum seems to have the most reports of this problem. From what I've read I am unable to find anyone that has what seems to be a cure for this.

Cabling the MiFi (which others say works without disconnects) is not an acceptable solution because the whole reason for buying a MiFi is connection sharing.

Complaints on this issue go back several months and the old Verizon board (which seems to be read only but still readable) had lots of comments about others experiencing this same issue.

Unless you are really surfing different sites you might not notice the problem.

However if you go to 192.168.1.1 on your browser and login with the password (probably default of admin if you haven't changed it) you can get to the log and see how frequently your system is connecting and disconnecting.

As near as I can tell the problem with MiFi is likely related to tower switching and not having a great signal. The problem can disappear for lengths of time and then suddenly you go crazy with frequent disconnects.

0 Likes
TJ_FTLGR

I have been having the same problem since I got the Mifi thru Verizon several months ago and the strange thing is that before that I had the Sprint MiFi and had it for about 8 months and I never had any problems with disconnect with that device.  I just tried the sugestion to set the Ip address which I have tried but within 5 minutes the device disconnect me and also disconnected from Verizon then reconnected.  I have an old unlimited plan and use it, and I have to wonder if Verizon is resetting this to keep the traffice down.  Anyone else see this happening with their unlimited plan?

0 Likes
TJ_FTLGR

I just tried direct connecting it to the computer and running VZAccess manager and it has staid connected for 30 minutes but I have low signal as now I cannot place the device in the window of the house. 

0 Likes
Ambreezy
Contributor - Level 3

I understand your frustration with your MiFi2200 device. You can try to check the signal strength for the device. For the instructions you can click here http://search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=27220 

0 Likes
brts

I know this is a redundant solution, but has anyone tried using a cradlepoint router with the MIFI?

0 Likes
marcomatic

I switched out a mifi for the usb modem with a cradlepoint and it worked great.  Speed was much higher than when using the mifi as a wifi router.  Like many others if I used the mifi directly connected over usb it worked perfect.  

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

marcomatic wrote:

I switched out a mifi for the usb modem with a cradlepoint and it worked great.  Speed was much higher than when using the mifi as a wifi router.  Like many others if I used the mifi directly connected over usb it worked perfect.  

Another Tip is you could have kept the MIFI and tether it to the CradlePoint Router, It would have worked perfectly.  
Plus it keeps the mifi charged at the same time and when your ready to go in a hurry the Mifi is all charged up so you can take it with you.. 
I got this tip from http://www.evdoforums.com
0 Likes
rwf1954

NaughtyGarfield wrote:

Hi guys! I am also having the same issues like the rest of you guys here. The manually assigning IP address sounds good. but has anyone tried the new firmware v159? I wonder if that solves the problem with the connect and disconnect issues. I haven't update mine yet.. but I like to see if anyone have updated and can provide some feedback on the issue we have at hand. Thanks.

I would say a resounding NO it will not solve the problem. I did not have the problem untill I upgraded to 159. Now my VPN will not stay connected more than a few minutes with the MiFi in wireless mode. It had been working more or less flawlessly for about 10 months untill I made the mistake of upgrading the FW. I have no problems with my Sierra AC 595 staying connected for days at a time over the same network from the same location. The MiFi is my 5th mobile BB device and I have been using them on Verizon since before EVDO so I am not a novice user. I have been very happy with the MiFi right up to the point where I upgraded the FW.

I have started logging it and the log indicates constant toggling of the dormant state and then an entry  that looks like"3G Disconnect10/15/10 09:16:06am> [WiFi] DeAuth 90" followed by a MAC address.

I have seen lots of reports of the issue now that I'm looking into it but no solutions. And no, a cradlepoint isn't the solution, nor is tethering, I could havedone that with any of my 4 AirCards. I bought the MiFi for exactly what it was because it fit my use case.

0 Likes
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

I have had the problem with frequent disconnects for many months (it just disconnected and reconnected twice while I am typing this) with 3 different firmware versions. When I first turn it on it connects for about 30 minutes, then disconnects and reconnects for 15 or so, and the longer it runs the more frequent the disconnects. After a couple of hours it is every 3-5 minutes, so it may be an overheating problem.

What is interesting is after the reconnect it does not reset the usage counter on the control panel Home screen. I have tried a hard reset to factory defaults, changing the channel, plugged in, on battery - no difference. My signal strength right now is -59 dbm on EvDO, so it is not a signal problem.

I am currently in an office with 5 other MiFis on Verizon, and none of them exhibit this problem. So it may be a hardware issue with my device. How can I get this verified, and can I get it replaced? Could it be a network or account problem? Can I get my account reset if this is an issue?

Thanks, Larry

0 Likes