MiFi4510L vs. Droid 2G
mortonj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I live WAY out in the sticks.

I had a MiFi 2200 and the only place in my house that it would receive a 1x signal (-115 dB) was in the top of a window. After almost 2 years the sun baked it into a puddle. I upgraded to a MiFi4510L and got a MUCH better signal (-90 to -95 db).

I now have a steady 1 Mbps down vs. the 100 k  with the 2200.

The only problem I am having is that my droid 2G will not connect unless another computer is keeping it out of the "dormant" state. As soon as it goes dormant the droid can not connect to the internet, and sometime can't even get to the admin page.

I've scrolled the forums and locked the MiFi4510L in b+g mode, and 3G mode. It is powered at all times.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MiFi4510L vs. Droid 2G
mortonj
Enthusiast - Level 3
What is WMM (WiFi Multimedia) on the WiFi setup page? I turned it off and now my Droid 2 works perfectly on my MiFi.

Did I break something else that I haven't noticed yet??

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Mortonj,

It sounds silly but have you had a chance to reset your MiFi yet?  You can find the reset button under the back cover next to the battery.  Let me know if you need the specific steps.  Remember that if you reset the mifi your personal settings will be errased such as B/G mode and 3G mode so make sure to go back and reconfigure them.

If you find your reception is poor inside your house then you might want to look at purchasing an external antenna/booster.  That way you could avoid leaving your MiFi a dangerious enviornment such as the top of a window which would damage the device.  There are many to choose from but a good link to get you started would be here:

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/

0 Likes
mortonj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess I missed the part where I said that I had chosen the MiFi over the other hot spot because I could connect an external antenna, which won't melt into a puddle.

I had not tried a full reset, but I guess I'll bite the bullet and give it a try, and report.

0 Likes
mortonj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried the reset, no joy.

But, I do have some more info. It appears that my e-mail works correctly, but the stock browser, firefox, facebook, and teamviewer (a REALLY COOL program BTW) can't wake the MiFi up if it is dormant mode.

Do android browsers use port 80 like windows browsers?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Port 80 is used for HTTP so it should not be restricted to a OS.  If you can browse the web then chances are port 80 is open and working.  If you are browsing from a secured location (VPN, Corporate Network, etc) then your administrators may be rerouting your internet traffic through a different port instead.

Although I'm sure the Android browser can use port 80, it might not be doing so all the time.  If you want to find out what ports your browser is using then get a NetStat application.  Netstat is a utility in Windows which is available through a command prompt window.  You might notice port 80 listed as ":http" under the Foreign Address column.  There appears to be many free Android conversions of NetStat available in the App store.

0 Likes
mortonj
Enthusiast - Level 3
What is WMM (WiFi Multimedia) on the WiFi setup page? I turned it off and now my Droid 2 works perfectly on my MiFi.

Did I break something else that I haven't noticed yet??

0 Likes