Mifi 2200...Weak signal(not internet) for connecting my wireless devices.
Shawn14316

Right now If i set this thing on top of my pc or ps3 it will detect the devices but if I move 5 feet away it looses signal. New to this wireless internet stuff and I'm not really digging the mifi 2200 at all. Is there a device I could buy that would give out a stronger signal then mifi 2200 or a device I could connect to the mifi 2200 that would do the job it's supposed to?

0 Likes
Re: Mifi 2200...Weak signal(not internet) for connecting my wireless devices.
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

Okay, specify 5' away.  Is it actually that distance and if so, are there any other wireless radio signals bouncing around that may be concentrated in that particular area.  i.e. leapfrog, baby monitors, cordless phones, etc.

Have you fully charged the device?  What computer Operating system do you have? How many devices are connected to the WIFI signal?  Is your PC a laptop or desktop? 

The reason I ask is that the MIFI normally has a wide range of broadcast for it's signal and if there are no other possible causes for the signal interruption, you may need to seek replacement.

Also, log into the web interface for the device while you have it in the optimal connection area then move it and check the status on the device for any type of changes in the administration software.  I also need to ask if you are disconnected from the USB cord.  Should be, but gotta ask.

0 Likes
Shawn14316

Well it seemed have gotten worse. The distance is less then 5' now. I even had it on top of my ps3 and it wouldn't pick up the signal.

Have you fully charged the device? Yes

What computer Operating system do you have? Vista

How many devices are connected to the WIFI signal? Zero right now. 3 total when I get this thing working. 2 Desktops and a playstation 3.

"Is it actually that distance and if so, are there any other wireless radio signals bouncing around that may be concentrated in that particular area.  i.e. leapfrog, baby monitors, cordless phones, etc."

Nope, none of those. I only got a cellphone, plasma tv, and direct tv receiver around.

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

Do you have wireless adapters in the desktops?  Are you connecting directly to the MIFI and not another router?  When you click on the Vista "View Available Wireless Networks" what is listed?

Also, have you associated the connection with a "Private"/"Home" Network location in Network and Sharing Center?

If not, Vista tends to close the connection down.

Also, have you set the security on the device and installed the software with the device tethered with the USB cord?

0 Likes
Tamika1
Contributor - Level 1

You can try using an external amplifier to increase the signal strength.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-MiFi-Devices/Mifi-Options-to-Increase-Signal-Strength/...

0 Likes
NickRich91

Or you could dump Verizon all together. They are tje biggest rip off. I'm in a location where all I get is Verizon Mobile Broadband. Nope, not anymore. It is all of a sudden slower than dial-up. I have to go to a freinds house or the libarary to use the internet. Or take my device and my laptop down the road to get it to work. It was fine until May 19, 2011. Now they don't know why it's going slow. **bleep**!

0 Likes