Mifi 4510l will not Broadcast SSID
Lmalnasi
I have a problem with my Mifi (actually I had one replaced because of the very same problem. The device won't consistently broadcast an SSID. I tried to enter the network credentials ( I renamed the network and changed password one time when it would connect.) and the network is not found. I have been able to connect before using the new credentials. This problem mostly occurs when I have an LTE connection to Verizon. I usually get an. SSID when the device connects via EVDO. The software update has been applied.
Any ideas??
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mifi 4510l will not Broadcast SSID
LMal
Enthusiast - Level 2

found a solution!!

1. Use a wifi tool like "http://tools.meraki.com/stumbler#q=" to find wifi networks in the area you are having a problem. I used a very very slow public network.

2. See which channels and 802.11 protocols are least used.  In my case only channels 1,6 and 11 were being used and all were 802.11 B or G.

3. make a note of above.

4. connect mifi to verizon in non congested area, and ssid should be broadcast. 

5. point browser to 192.68.1.6. 

6. change wifi settings to something that will work in your congested area. I chose the 802.11n protocol and wifi channel 4.

7. try mifi in congested area.

Worked like a charm!! I think the mifi has trouble with selecting a wifi channel in a congested area. hopefully this can be addressed in a firmware upgrade, but in the meantime, this works.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

My first suggestion is to lower your Wireless Mode from B/G/N to B/G:

1. Power on the MiFi

2. Navigate to Http://mifi.admin

3. Sign into the MiFi with your Router Password

a. The default is "admin"

4. Click on the Wi-Fi tab

5. Change the 802.11 Mode to "802.11g + 802.11b"

6. Click Apply

0 Likes
LMal
Enthusiast - Level 2

This worked for a while, and now it's doing the same thing. Very frustrating. Thinking of returning device and cancelling plan.

LM

0 Likes
LMal
Enthusiast - Level 2

found a solution!!

1. Use a wifi tool like "http://tools.meraki.com/stumbler#q=" to find wifi networks in the area you are having a problem. I used a very very slow public network.

2. See which channels and 802.11 protocols are least used.  In my case only channels 1,6 and 11 were being used and all were 802.11 B or G.

3. make a note of above.

4. connect mifi to verizon in non congested area, and ssid should be broadcast. 

5. point browser to 192.68.1.6. 

6. change wifi settings to something that will work in your congested area. I chose the 802.11n protocol and wifi channel 4.

7. try mifi in congested area.

Worked like a charm!! I think the mifi has trouble with selecting a wifi channel in a congested area. hopefully this can be addressed in a firmware upgrade, but in the meantime, this works.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

LMal,

Thanks for the link to that neat little tool.  I can see that tool being useful in the future when performing site surveys.

0 Likes
mikevamp1

I found a temp fix though that seems to work until I shut down the laptop. I have the issue with WIndows XP and Windows 7.  I reset TCP/IP and for whatever reason I am able to see the Mifi. This is for PC only I am not sure how to do this on Mac, or if it's even possible.

To reset TCP/IP open a command prompt and type the following command:

netsh int ip reset

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

You may have to restart your computer but I have been okay without restarting. If you guys have any more info as to why this fixs it  that would be great.

ps: I have also noticed that while my laptop cannot see the mifi at times, my cell phone picks up the signal. strange.

0 Likes