Mifi - Disconnects in Wifi, works fine when tethered.
JosephMGaffney

Power is set to never shut off.  Otherwise, its pretty much as I got it from Verizon.  Yet..... here is my diagnostic log.

02/19/10 06:00:47pm> Current Time

02/19/10 06:00:40pm> 3G Connected

02/19/10 06:00:33pm> 3G Disconnect

02/19/10 06:00:22pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

02/19/10 06:00:11pm> 3G Dormant State

02/19/10 05:59:48pm> 3G Connected

02/19/10 05:59:41pm> 3G Disconnect

02/19/10 05:59:19pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

02/19/10 05:59:18pm> 3G Connected

02/19/10 05:59:11pm> 3G Disconnect

02/19/10 05:58:59pm> 3G Dormant State

02/19/10 05:58:37pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

02/19/10 05:58:36pm> 3G Connected

02/19/10 05:58:28pm> 3G Disconnect

02/19/10 05:58:15pm> 3G Dormant State

02/19/10 05:57:20pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

02/19/10 05:57:19pm> 3G Connected

02/19/10 05:57:11pm> 3G Disconnect

02/19/10 05:56:48pm> 3G Dormant State

02/19/10 05:56:03pm> 3G Out of Dormant State

02/19/10 05:56:00pm> [DHCP] Assign IP

02/19/10 05:55:55pm> [WiFi] Association

02/19/10 05:55:44pm> 3G Dormant State

02/19/10 05:55:35pm> [WiFi] BSS Start

02/19/10 05:55:29pm> 3G Connected

Yes, thats FIVE disconnects in FIVE minutes.  What was I doing (or trying to do)? Browse the web.

Works fine when tethered, which is the only way I'm able to do this right now - or the pages would half-load, and I'd be knocked off.  Speeds are fairly awful, too, though that might be because I'm getting disconnected every minute.

So.... whats the fix for this one?

0 Likes
Re: Mifi - Disconnects in Wifi, works fine when tethered.
blamiya1
Contributor - Level 3

In this case, I would suggest that you do a reset for your device. This may help with the problems that your having with the slow speed and the disconnection problems. I have provided a link for you to follow that gives you step by step instructions on how to reset your device and do a diagnostic for your problem. I hope this will be helpful to your situation. http://vzwkm.ddc.vzwcorp.com/contactcenter/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&external...

0 Likes
aintigreat

get a wireless router from CradlePoint I got mine from here http://www.3gstore.com/cradlepoint , with a router you will only need to setup the wireless connection once and any user on any computer can connect via wifi or ethernet.   its so easy even a cavemen can do it.

Order from 3gstore > Get the router and turn it on > Connect your verizon card to the rotuer > 15 seconds your connected just connect to the wifi like you would at a coffe shop.

The best part is you can set a ping target to automatic ping every 60 seconds no more disconnects. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
bobfireman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having a similar problem to the OP. 

The mifi works flawlessly when connected via USB.

When I connect wirelessly, sometimes it will work flawlessly for hours.  Sometimes it will constantly drop the wifi connection.  Sometimes with will do this several times over the space of a few minutes.  VERY infuriating!

I called tech support and they had me reset the device, and it worked for a while, but the same thing is occuring.  I went to the local Verizon company owned store, and talked to the tech people there.  They were of NO help, except to tell me to leave the wifif and my laptop there overnight.  Well, sorry, but I'm not leaving my laptop in the hands of strangers. 

Anyone have any ideas?

And yes, I know about the Cradlepoint devices, so don't tell me about them.  Why should I buy ANOTHER device to do what this one is already supposed to do? (besides, Zoom sells a similar device for MUCH less $$)

0 Likes
stonekeepers

Unfortunately, your link does not work.  I am having the same problem with the MiFi.  

I switched from Sprint to Verizon last fall and I do have to say that the MiFi seems much, much slower than my Sprint card did.  I have always had Verizon for cell service and wanted to consolidate my service, but I am considering paying the termination fee and going back to Sprint.  

0 Likes
prb123

Just a thought, but perhaps it's as simple as you are just in a very poor cellular coverage area, hence the drop-outs.  Maybe with the tethering cable attached, it acts somewhat as a small antenna, getting more signal into the unit.  I know this sounds very goofy, but I've seen multiple examples of this effect.  Also, I have learned from fooling around with my Mi-Fi device that, if someone calls the phone number assigned to the Mi-Fi by Verizon, it will temporarily kill the 3G connection (but the Wi-Fi connection to your computer(s) stays alive).  Any chance you are getting lots of phone calls to your Mi-Fi?  I have listed mine with the DONOTCALL registry.

0 Likes
bobfireman
Enthusiast - Level 2
The issue for me is NOT marginal coverage. 99.9% of my usage is in a metropolitan area with outstanding 3g coverage (verified with my Verizon cell phone). As for getting phone calls, I don't know how I would know if someone was calling the device, but I don't think that's the issue. For example, today the device worked fine wirelessly for hours, then just quit. I cycled the power to it, pulled the battery, etc. I went and did something else and came back an hour later and still nothing. I finally had to tether it to get it to work. Verizons silence on this issue is telling me that this device is a **bleep**....
0 Likes
FIXED Re: Mifi - Disconnects in Wifi, works fine when tethered.
DROdio

The MiFi disconnect issue has been FIXED by Verizon.  To see the fix (and the story about how I emailed the CEO of Verizon to get the fix) see http://go.DanielOdio.com/MiFi

0 Likes
Re: FIXED Re: Mifi - Disconnects in Wifi, works fine when tethered.
PDCLarry
Contributor - Level 1

DROdio wrote:

The MiFi disconnect issue has been FIXED by Verizon.  To see the fix (and the story about how I emailed the CEO of Verizon to get the fix) see http://go.DanielOdio.com/MiFi

It has NOT been fixed. See my posts in 3 other threads.

0 Likes