Mifi wifi works on my xp machine but not our vista machine
dnatured

So ever since we've got the mifi device last week, I have been unsuccessful in getting my wife's Vista SP2 machine to connect via wifi.  It can see the device, but will not accept the "passphrase" on the sticker located on the back of the device.   It will connect via the USB cable and VZ sftwr just fine.   Any clues as to what might be going on, or what I'm doing wrong????  Did I maybe screw something up when connecting it to the XP laptop?  I uninstalled reinstalled the VZ sftwr, and started from scratch with the wireless ntwk connections on both machines, but no luck on hers??????????

Thanks,

a frustrated newb

0 Likes
Re: Mifi wifi works on my xp machine but not our vista machine
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
Try resetting the Mifi  (paperclip thru hole in underside, while it is on, til it resets).
0 Likes
dnatured

Tried tha at least 5 times, and no success.  I assume it's got to be a setting somewhere????????

thx

0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

hmmm.  the only trouble I had with Vista and Mifi was that it wouldn't connect via the cable  (which I realize isn't your issue), because the remote services were turned off (by me, ages ago) in Vista.  You might want to take a look--Go to Start, type in "services.msc", [Enter], and click on the column, "startup type".  Look at all the disabled services and see if anything might need to be turned on.  I can't think of anything else.  oh, btw, Verizon support has been LOUSY at helping with MiFi issues.  You'll have to figure it out on your own or hope someone online can pin it down for you.   I take it you can connect to other routers via wifi, with the Vista machine (I had to ask! :smileyhappy: )

one last thing--you don't have MAC filtering turned on for the MiFi do you?  If filtering was on, and the MAC addy for the Vista machine isn't in the list, of course it won't connect.    

Message Edited by dave1812 on 06-24-2009 08:23 AM
Message Edited by dave1812 on 06-24-2009 08:25 AM
0 Likes
dnatured
no problems with other connections, just the mifi, it just doesn't want to accept the passphrase/key????
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
are u using WEP, WPA, or WPA2?
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
have u tried turning off security to see if it will connect (as a test)?
0 Likes
dnatured
I'm not sure, I will have to check when I get home tonight
0 Likes
dnatured
Disabled fire walls and virus sftwr, still no luck!!!!
0 Likes
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1

try posting on this forum:  http://www.wirelessforums.org/

Someone more knowledgeable than myself might have a suggestion that will fix it.  

0 Likes