My Kindle Fire causes other connections on the Hotspot to not connect...why??
hotspotvskindle
0 Likes
Re: My Kindle Fire causes other connections on the Hotspot to not connect...why??
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

Without knowing more I would guess that your Kindle may be filling up the maximum number of devices that your Hotspot can support. 

To know for sure please provide us with your Hotspot model number (Ex. MiFi 4510L, SCH-LC11, etc).  There are a few to choose from so make sure we start talking about the correct one before we get too far into it.

Also, please share with us some more information about your enviornment.  Things like the number of devices, types of devices, 3G / 4G coverage, internet speeds, etc would be helpful when it comes to describing your envionrment.  Describing the disconnection event would also be helpful too.  Are you getting kicked off the internet, off the hotspot, or both?

0 Likes
Re: My Kindle Fire causes other connections on the Hotspot to not connect...why??
hotspotvskindle

It is a Verizon Fivespot - 3G.  We usually can run a laptop and two gaming systems no problem.  It is when I try to connect with the Kindle Fire that, if it does allow connection, it causes all the other systems to not connect to the next web page. (and the Kindle won't connect either.)  It's like the Kindle needs the whole Fivespot for itself.  Then I reset the Fivespot and leave the Kindle off the system and things run fine again.  We have had the Fivespot for a long time with no problems until the Kindle. 3G speeds, system lock up and needs to be reset, Kindle also sometimes requires the password, sometimes not.  Then if connects, still may not be able to get web pages.

I am also looking into highspeed instead of the fivespot to correct this problem, but it still needs to be corrected for travel.

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Ah OK, so you have the Fivespot.  Not my area of expertise but I'll share what I know from the MiFi 4510L.

The Fivespot should be able to handle up to 5 wireless devices at one time so my first guess may not apply.  It sounds like you have 4 devices online at the most.

We have also now learned that your devices are most likely not getting "disconnected" from the Fivespot, but they are no longer recieving data once the Kindle initiates its connection.  That problem is commonly referred to as "lockup" "Frozen" or "Dormant".  The only device which has a disconnection problem is your Kindle when it has a hard time authenticating into the Fivespot. That could be why the Kindle is prompting you to enter your p/w on a random basis.

My suggestion is to try lowering the wireless signal on your Fivespot down to a B/G instead of B/G/N.  I assume there is a feature on the Admin webpage that allows you to make that sort of a change.  The kindle may be N compatible however the wireless adapter may struggle when communicating with the Fivespot.  Best to just shut down that feature and see if there is an improvement.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Another user posted a solution for his Kindle and a MiFi 4510L.  That user mentioned that he went out and updated the wireless adapter for his Kindle from the Kindle support site.  Give it a shot and see if updated drivers will help your situation or not.

0 Likes
hotspotvskindle

My Kindle is version 6.2.1. so that is not the issue.  I haven't found the B/G/N info on the 5spot yet.  Just tried the Velocity Cruz on our connections...it worked PERFECT!  No interference to the other devices, no freezing up.  GRRR.  Should have bought that instead of the Kindle.  Kindle support pages don't help.  At least you are here with suggestions!  What would the difference be between the Kindle and Cruz??

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The wireless adapters would likely be different between the Kindle and Cruz.  The Cruz may simply have better hardware on it.

I looked up the Fivespot manual:

http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/vzw_fivespot/fivespot_manual.pdf

on page 23 of the PDF there are screenshots of the Wi-Fi Settings > Basic tab.  Under the basic tab you will find a setting called "Network Mode".  I cant tell if the Fivespot even offers Wireless N from these screenshots but if you can disable it this would be the place and setting needed to do it.

0 Likes
hotspotvskindle

This B/G/N thing is WAY over my head.  I've looked at the manual.  I will try to study it before trying anything.  What I found interesting was when I totally erased the Kindle and then hooked up, it worked perfect!  Now, today when I attempt to connect while the laptop was on...both froze up.  Why connect up the first time??

The Manual did say something about wifi not available on notebooks running MacR OS.  I thought somewhere in my info the Kindle may have some Mac issue?  I will have to check that relation also?

Frustrated! But thanks for your input. I will get back to searching this 5spot angle.

Ok. The Kindle under Device says Wi-Fi MAC address.  F0-A2-25-B9-11-E4.  Is this related to the notebook MacR OS they mention with the fivespot?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

MAC Address and MacR OS are two different things.  They are not related to eachother at all.

MAC Address is the hardware ID that your device uses for network communication.  It is similar to your IP address but your MAC Address does not change from one network to another.

Mac OS is an operating system like WinXP, Vista or Win7.  Not sure what MacR is. 

After reading some Amazon forum postings it seems like you could try switching the password type on the fivespot to something different.  Depending on what you are currently using, try switching your password type to either WPA, WPA2 or leaving it off all togeather.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg3?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=3&c...

0 Likes
MonkeyPull

I've been having the same issue with my daughter's Fires and my 3G Fivespot.  I thought the problem was with the Kindles but, it seems to be the combo.  I can use my iPad while my wife is using hers or a laptop and everything is fine.  Once even one of the Kindles is turned on, nothing works at all.  If only the Fivespot is on and THEN one Fire is turned on (while no other devices are running), it works fine.  The second anything else is turned on, including another Fire, everything disconnects and the Fivesopt has to be reset.

I updated the firmware today and I'm still having the same issue.

Switching the password does not fix the problem either.

0 Likes