My view on 5 gig data plan in the New Mobile world
Macriver
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had Verizon mobile broadband ( USB720) modem-Macintosh since 8-07 and it was Unlimited I thought. As I understand it now there is a 5 gig limit on the new plans. Since finding out about the new 5 gig limit I have been keeping better track of the usage I use. I guess that's the end if  youtube video's , downloading any movies. Now 170 megs a day is alot unless is downloading movies. I found out about the 5 gig limit after a friend emailed me about how I really didn't have unlimited anymore.  I have been watching my usage and have yet to go over 170 megs a day since keeping better track of what I use. I keep track via the Verizon Access manager  of gig usage. If one goes online and compares his kb usage and converts to gig usage it will be the same as to what one reads on his Verizon Access manager.

Go online and get your kb usage and enter it in this link as kb usage.

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/

It will tell you how many megs, gigs, terabytes you use. I did mine and it was about the same as Verizon has about a 12 hour delay in posting you usage to your account. So if your on using the internet for say 1 hour @ 15 megs as to what you Verizon access manager says in the log area. It will be some 12 houes until its posted to you account as usage.

If one goes over with the new data plan 5 gig limit one is looking at $51.20 a gig.

I'm not crazy aout the new 5 gig limit but then again I'm not a heavy user who downloads terabytes. It would have been nice if the limit was 10 gig or 15 gig limit. In this day and age of people being mobile, smart phone, downloaded movies I just don't understand. Then again maybe time will tell and Verizon will change their plans with a little more usage like 10 to maybe 20 gig usage a month.

I got Verizon because I had dial up and where I live there isn't any cable,DSL.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My view on 5 gig data plan in the New Mobile world
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2
Sorry, but it is what it is... We had to move from Unlimited to 5 GB... as there is just not enough bandwith for everyone to have unlimited data.  Customer data trending and analysis were conducted for months and the 5GB plan was what was best for most people.  While you could move to Sprint you may have issues getting any service as so many people are in the data pipeline and it is a fixed amount that can be in there at any one time.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rimbaud
Verizon reports your usage in KB, MB and GB, but caluclates any fraction up to the next whole MB or GB.  Since they charge anything over your 5 GB limit at $0.05 per MB, you want to know how many MB you have gone over your 5,120 MB limit.  Divide your KB usage by 1024 and then use the next highest MB, i.e. CEILING((Used_KB/1024),5) .   
0 Likes
JMacy

You've had better success with the data useage on MyVerizon.

I check it at least once a day and thought I had 600 MB at end of billig period. Come to find out I was over by 141 MB.

It seems that there was about a three day lag in posting on my account, even though the details showed daily postings.

So, you really got'ta watch it or you'll end up paying and paying.

Here's another tip. If you have an employer discount and want to know what's covered
don't ask customer service,
don't ask the store manager,
ask the billing department:smileysurprised:

0 Likes
vic_montanna
In order to understand any billing questions on any bill fyi, there is no billing department that you speak with you would need to speak with a customer service rep, the only time you would speak with another member of vzw team about your bill is if you don't pay your bill. Customer service rep are your best friends.:manmad:
0 Likes
blackwidowinsc
Contributor - Level 1
What type of price plan do you have.  You need 1024 megabyte to equal 1GB.  You may want to have your billed reviewed in order to ensure that you have a price plan that fits your need and that you understand it correctly.
0 Likes
StormModder
Contributor - Level 1

Macriver wrote:

I guess that's the end if  youtube video's , downloading any movies.

and this is EXACTLY why the limit is in place - to reduce the amount of excessive usage in order to maintain network integrity and ensure equal access to as many people as possible.

0 Likes
rickvh
5gb is a joke.  What am i supposed to be doing with this, online banking and shopping at amazon?  No I would like to use my internet as I would at home if i'm paying $59 a month for it.
0 Likes
Macriver
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand the deal about excessive usage. I signed up 8/07 on unlimited Wireless internet that Verizon was advertising in my neighborhood with there unlimited internet signs. I went back and have checked my download data usage, It ran on a average of 8.5 gigs a month some months were higher and some months were lower. Yes I did download some Youtube videos. I don't consider myself a heavey user as in downloading terabytes. I have since watch my usage better. I stay under a 170 meg a day . In fact in 5 1/2 days I have only used 454.325 MB. I figure that around 82.60 megs a day or 2.41992 gig a month. I wonder if I only use half of my alloted gig limit for the month will the excess get rolled over as like cell phone  minutes do. {keep it courteous please} But if I go over my data usage of 5-gig I get charged.

Hmmmmm!

Message Edited by WendyM on 06-18-2009 04:30 PM
0 Likes
blackwidowinsc
Contributor - Level 1

Unless something has changed w/in Verizon over the past month, I would presume that they do not have a rollover for minutes or data usage.  The best thing to do is review your bill and see what assistance you can find in managing your bill and services better.

0 Likes
Macriver
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon access manager seem to do a good job at the data one has used, There is a time gap where one has used data and it isn't posted for some hours. The Verizon access manage is somewhat different from the Vista version.

I'm still under the old Unlimited data plan. I was unaware that ISP had changed to a 5 gig limit plan. I guess I'm still covered under the old plan but to be safe I lowered my downloading last month after a friend with a iphone was asking about Verizon's data plans. Well I came in right under the wire at 4.97 gigs used. Where I live there is just dialup which I had which was like having a tooth pulled. Verizon advertised in my neighborhood for their broadband internet, We have 2 plans one for the wife and one for me. I use mine when I go work on the Mississippi River.

Bottom line IMHO if one downloads movies and spends countless hours on the internet surfing  web pages heavey with pictures then 5 gig will not last. I check my email, read goggle news, read about Apple Computer News, check news about the barge industry the ply the inland rivers. I figure about 80 to 100 megs a day with 70, Forums use less data vs web pages with lots of pictures will burn up kb fast.

0 Likes