Need for solution for dormancy/drop-outs/lower speed to network from Mifi 4510L
kescom11

I recently purchased (6/10/11) the Verizon Wireles MiFi 4510L due to the need for multiple wireless device access to the internet.

I previously had the Pantech USB Modem  UML290 modem for my laptop.

The most glaring concerns that I have with the Mifi device are as follow(s):

1. Dormancy...the signal goes into dormant status anywhere from 3 seconds to 1 minute, even when I am transmitting wirelessly from my laptop to the Mifi device. Unlike the USB modem, I would lose access to the server long enough to produce time out messages, etc on my web pages.  The same applies to my client e-mail servers.

2. Drop-outs.  Periodically I will notice that my Windows connection will switch from "Connected" to "Connected with Limited Connectivity" to "Local Only" during a session.  The Windows taskbar gui icon will show periods where no upload or download of data is ongoing, even during an active and sustained download (example: software update).

3. My connection speeds for download are running around a maximum of 0.5 mb/s...but average around 0.25 mb/s...with upload speeds the same or 1/2 that amount.  This is about 1/2 to 1/3 the routine speeds I had with the UML 290 USB Modem. Both connection speeds are far less than I experienced with my Sierra Wireless PC5750 card...which I dearly loved, but would not work with the upcoming 4g LTE network.

Background Info>

I use Lenovo T400 with embedded wireless antenna and Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN Wireless Adapter and use Windows Vista SP2 with the latest software updates and drivers.

I have excellent signal strength with both the Mifi and USB modem.  I am in a 3G coverage area right now....still waiting on 4G.  My dbm values for 3G with the Mifi have been running between -71 and -80.

I have reviewed several posts on the problems mentioned above, but there does not seem to be any good answer from Verizon as to how to "work-around" these issues.  I would sure love some guidance before my return period for the Mifi runs out in less than 2 weeks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need for solution for dormancy/drop-outs/lower speed to network from Mifi 4510L
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

This sounds like my first experience with the MiFi 4510L.  To correct the problem I tried resetting the device by pressing down and holding the small "Reset" button near the battery.  You will need a paper clip to press down the button.

Reset the device while its powered on.  Once that is done power it down and remove the battery and SIM card.  Let the device sit for 60 seconds and reassemble.  When I booted my MiFi back up it performed wonderfully.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Need for solution for dormancy/drop-outs/lower speed to network from Mifi 4510L
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

This sounds like my first experience with the MiFi 4510L.  To correct the problem I tried resetting the device by pressing down and holding the small "Reset" button near the battery.  You will need a paper clip to press down the button.

Reset the device while its powered on.  Once that is done power it down and remove the battery and SIM card.  Let the device sit for 60 seconds and reassemble.  When I booted my MiFi back up it performed wonderfully.

0 Likes
kescom11

John,

Thanks for your time and information on this matter.   I wanted to wait to reply until I incorporated you suggestions.  It took two tries for it work.  One interesting thing I noted was that the connection/system log on the MifI website time stamps defaulted back to January 1980 after the reset...sounds like some old code still exists.

The overall stability has increased, which has provided some comfort to me about my purchase...but the jury is still out at this time.

I still encounter periods of "Limited Connectivity", as defined by the Windows Network and Sharing GUI, even when my MIFI is clearly recieving/transmitting data (purple llight is flashing on the modem).  It appears my best connection occurs when my MIFI and laptop are plugged into their respective AC adapters.  I noticed that I have limited Ipv6 connectivity with the Mifi...I had full connectivity with the UML290 modem

I still have connection problems with my e-mail clients when trying to synchronize my IMAP accounts through my e-mail servers.  It may take 3 or more attempts to synchronize with the servers to get all of my e-mail.

I have been doing some testing on connection speeds...they are still uniformally remaining at/or below 0.5 MB/s at best...but closer to 0.20 MB/s on a 3G connection. Upload speeds are less than that.  I am not sure what is throtting back the data transfer rate.

By the way...do you know of a good displayable (free) application that allows one to live connection speeds of WiFi connections.  Since I have moved from the UML290...I do not have a way to see how my connection is doing.

Thanks again for your prompt and kind reply.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Kescom,

One thing that I noticed about performance when I was testing my MiFi was the use of a VPN or not.  The VPN's that I use slowed down my actual download and upload speeds by 50%.  That was consistent accross the several locations I initially visited in 3G and 4G areas.  Nothing you can do about that though, thats the VPN world.

When I comes to benchmarking download and upload speeds what I use is http://www.speedtest.net.  Speedtest is a free tool and pretty standard when it comes to unofficial/consumer testing.  Run through the website a few times while both VPN connected and non-VPN connected and compare the results.

0 Likes
dave22

I would seek help from the VPN publisher's it may not be a MiFi issue, further more 4G coverage is still work in progress..... 

0 Likes
cemarti

I have had similar issues, i will try this reset solution.

As to the VPN comments, i too was experiencing very very slow speeds.  The default address of 192.168.1.0/24 network on the device is very commonly used most companies.  Therefore when connecting to VPN routing has two routes to 192.168.1.x consistantly getting confused.  I changed the mifi to 172.16.0.0/24 and all the speeds return to normal while connected to VPN.  Hope that helps.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Cemarti,

Can you provide us with the steps that you used to change your MiFi's IP Address?  When I try to sign into the router page and cofigure the LAN settings I get a "LAN IP Address is invalid" error message.  I'd love to try out your suggestion and see if it improves my VPN performance.

0 Likes
cemarti

Certainly, if you go to the LAN settings, put in the IP address of 172.16.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Click 'Apply' then this should reboot the device.

Note: if your company is using 172.16.0.0/22 on their network as well, you may still experience the same issues, but its worth a shot.

Chad

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thanks Cemarti,

I tried entering the IP Address as 172.16.0.0 instead of 172.16.0.1.

Some quick tests on Speedtest.net revealed no performance improvement with my Cisco IPSec VPN.  I'll keep your suggestion in my back pocket incase I notice anything different in the future.

If someone else finds that suggestion to be helpful then please let us know.

0 Likes
kescom11

John, et, al,

I appreciate the suggestions and have tried the reset option. It works OK for about 1 session, but then reverts back to the same issue.

I do not use a VPN via a company network.  I am strictly using the cell tower signal to connect to the internet via Verizon.  The only reason I got the MiFi was to be able to connect to the network with more than 1 device (basically having my own portable router) either simultaneously or invidually.  I had a Verizon UML290 modem before that using the same signal, but never have the drop-outs like I am having with the Mifi. 

In addition, my Windows Vista software keeps dropping back to "Limited Connectivity" in the Network and Sharing Center.  I have reset my adapter on my computer several times and that does not seem to make any difference in the number of drop-outs I experience. 

I could live with the lower speeds, but the intermittent connection is crazy.  I may be assuming that the Mifi and the UML290 USB modem should be working with similar connectivity, but I may be wrong.  I would appreciate it very much if we could get a Verzion expert to address this issue.

It is said that my issue is "solved", but it is not.

However, with that said...all of the replies have been appreciated.

0 Likes