Need help w/ 'Winsock' issue!
saxon1014

We have:

Gateway LT2016u Netbook

After going out of town and using the netbook w/o any problems, we started getting 'Winsock' errors and it won't connect to the internet. It won't even allow us to us the VZconnection. Anyone know what we should do? It's Microsoft XP using Firefox browser. Never had any problems before. It say's 'server not found', but the icon for the wifi is showing that it's working (plus our two other laptops don't have any problems). We've gotten messages that seem to indicate that something is not there or is corrupted, or missing upon opening/restarting the computer. HELP! thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Need help w/ 'Winsock' issue!
ClarDold
Contributor - Level 1

saxon1014 wrote:

We have:

Gateway LT2016u Netbook

After going out of town and using the netbook w/o any problems, we started getting 'Winsock' errors and it won't connect to the internet. It won't even allow us to us the VZconnection. Anyone know what we should do? It's Microsoft XP using Firefox browser. Never had any problems before. It say's 'server not found', but the icon for the wifi is showing that it's working (plus our two other laptops don't have any problems). We've gotten messages that seem to indicate that something is not there or is corrupted, or missing upon opening/restarting the computer. HELP! thanks!

Which MiFi do you have?

Are you connecting a MiFi of some sort via USB, or only WiFi?

If this is like Windows on a regular laptop, I would first try right-click on the WiFi icon and "Repair".

For most people, this is a perfectly harmless thing to do, and it clears some inadvertent bad settings in the configuration.

Next step might be the Microsoft KnowledgeBase: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892889

A hard reset of the MiFi might be in order, but I would try the Windows side first.

--

Clarence

0 Likes
saxon1014

Thanks, I'll try that. It's all connected w/ our Verizon, but we get online via our Comcast wireless. When I was out of town, I had to use the wifi via the VZwireless...not sure when the problem happened. We also had 'wireless' at the motel we stayed at before coming home, but I literally fell asleep w/ the computer on my lap, and I'm so afraid I might have done something to mess it up. My son is the computer expert (literally, it's what he does, high tech security stuff), so this would elementary for him..but he's away from home, planning his wedding.

S.

0 Likes
saxon1014

Okay, I tried that, and it said there were things missing and it couldn't be prepared. The icon showed the belkin symbol, and it said 'connectivity good', and it was showing the way it does when the internet is working fine...it's just this little lappy can not seem to latch on!

The latest message was:

SMWAN

Windows sockets initialization failed.

It's not Comcast. And since we didn't get a a 'reinstall' CD (this little gadget doesn't even have a disc drive thing). We're just going to take it into Verizon. I hope my daughter doesn't lose all her stuff. :smileysad:

thanks for trying to help.

s.

0 Likes